Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lab eating rocks! Help!

ok, I've had labs for 23 years, never have I had one consistently eat the gravel in the dog runs. I'm really concerned.
What would cause this? Has anyone had a lab do this?
He gets PLENTY of food, is not underweight, is in great health. Gets supplement, salmon oil everyday, wormed regularly...I don't get this one...

Re: lab eating rocks! Help!

Does he eat them like one after another or just when you go out to him. Is he chewing on them or playing with them or just eating them?

A dangerous habit that sometimes results in death. I have known two Goldens who had multiple surgeries to remove fairly large rocks. The only solution seems to be keeping such rock eaters completely away from rocks.

For the first time of owning Labradors and many types of large breeds, our 3 yr old girl has been eating small rocks, pea gravel type since she has been a puppy, now her young daughter is a rock eater. So far the 3.5 yr old girl has not had any blockages. I think where a dog will get into trouble is when they eat the bigger rocks..the ones the size of a .50 coin and larger. I feed my dogs excellent kibble and they get lots of bones to chew on so I don't know who some dogs eat rocks. Why do some dogs eat poop and some don't ? It's probably the same quirk that runs in dog families.

I dont think she was asking about years, or math. She was asking about a dog eating rocks??????

What kind of gravel is it? Some gravels have lime in it and some dogs are attracted to it.If another dog has urinated or pooped in that run then maybe the dog is attracted to this. The pea gravel( which has more granite in it, dogs like to roll this in their mouths and sometimes swollow them. If this is an adult dog just doing this, most likley he has been doing it for sometime. Maybe put him out on the grass more often. Dogs that are in kennel runs too long and that do not get stimulation do get bored and behaviours do start to form.
Also suggest maybe changing if you can afford to put concrete runs in instead of gravel.or use patio stone blocks.

I know a lab who ate rocks and also sniffed out only granite ones. she became a cadevoiur dog for the government and works with finding old burial sites(Indian, and burial sites on old farmers fields)

thanks...you are right, I have '88 on my site, but it was before that. But I know it was 23 years...because of how long I've been married and when we got our first dog...lol

Don't you just love people that love to find a reason to say something snippy....lol!

thanks for the morning chuckle.

lol...thank you!

wow, that was really helpful, thank you. He is definitely not bored...has toys, bones, playmates. Walks, playtime. He is the only one who has ever done this. And the only one doing it right now in my kennel. He is 15 mos, and just starting doing it about 2 mos ago.

Thats a really cool story you told about that one dog working for the gov!

site says "producing" (breeding?) labs since 1988. She has HAD labs since she was married, 1986. 23 years of experience, possible.
are you a math teacher?

If u only knew the whole story you wouldn't be worried 'bout math teachers, does'nt the breed come 1st ...................................................

Several years ago when I put in my kennel..... I put the pea size gravel in the runs. I was told by my mentor that the gravel was much better for the dogs joints and easier to clean. I like to give my dogs marrow bones when in the kennel....that is when I started to have them eat the gravel. They would chew the bones and the grease would get on the stones.....and they would eat them. I didn't notice it at first....but when I was pooper scooping the yard....discovered poops full of gravel. I immediately had cement put in the runs......no more rock eaters here !!

Who are you people? Where do you come from? Don't you have anything better to do?, she is asking about rocks and you waiste a lot of time doing math, going to a web site looking for mistakes and finding a difference of two years, wow, 86 or 88, you should write a book about it.

Poor dear, I can imagine what a pitty life you have.

How much exercise (not playing with kennelmates) and training does he get on a regular basis? A tired dog isn't going to bother eating rocks.

contacted breeder 2001, "been breeding labs for over 20 years"

He's not bored. Gets exercise all day long. Have a part time trainer and person who exercises our dogs everyday too. Plays with other dogs his age all day long.

thanks to those actually answering my questions.

EML
He's not bored. Gets exercise all day long. Have a part time trainer and person who exercises our dogs everyday too. Plays with other dogs his age all day long.

what do YOU do with your dogs while everyone else is taking care of them

What does that have to do with the question....MYOB! JMO TOO!

some are just hopelessly unhappy on this forum. Its a shame. They have to find someone to be mean to.

If someone has a part time trainer it means the owner does not do anything with the dogs? Perhaps they hire someone when they can't be there???? Do they work? have children, a spouse, maybe community work?

Sorry, you are mean, but assume alot and don't use logic.

someone forgot their meds...LOL! defintely.
some are just hopelessly unhappy on this forum. Its a shame. They have to find someone to be mean to.

If someone has a part time trainer it means the owner does not do anything with the dogs? Perhaps they hire someone when they can't be there???? Do they work? have children, a spouse, maybe community work?

Sorry, you are mean, but assume alot and don't use logic.

I wasn't the poster but try a full time kennel-manager and the other-help also. You have no clue.

If you find the answer to this one please let me know how to cure it, I have a girl that's been eating the gravel in the yard for 3 1/2 years now and nothing i've done makes her stop, she passes them all thank God but I do worry one day she won't.
Aloha,
Jackie

EML
ok, I've had labs for 23 years, never have I had one consistently eat the gravel in the dog runs. I'm really concerned.
What would cause this? Has anyone had a lab do this?
He gets PLENTY of food, is not underweight, is in great health. Gets supplement, salmon oil everyday, wormed regularly...I don't get this one...