Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for working lines/ Stud dog B(c)

Newbie here,
looking for a moderate stud B(c) with working lines behind him.
thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for working lines/ Stud dog B(c)

Maybe ask the breeder of your girl for suggestions as to what works with the line? Some of the NJ Top Dog Obedience crew was on Fox News this morning. Therefore the first dog that comes to my mind is National Obedience Champion "Tyler," a Gates son who goes back to Lean Mac etc. of field trial lines. Petra Ford of NJ is in New York at the AKC Meet the Breeds event, so maybe we can see that good working Lab on TV today or tomorrow. I think Rhumbline has or had some of his pups. I am not affiliated with Petra, Rhumbline, or either's breeding programs AT ALL, but a gal who adopted one of my rescues rode into NYC with Petra this morning, so he is on my mind.

What is your definition of working lines? Obedience/agility/hunting? JH/SH/MH lines? Field-trial lines? Can you be more specific?

By working lines I consider most any kind of "working title". Field/ Hunt tests,obedience, tracking, agility. I know there are some fabulous dogs with the ability but not always the opportunity to do these things.. but I would like to see some kind of history in the pedigree/line that indicates working ability,intelligence, and instinct are still in there.

thanks.

And to add to that- there is a litter of pups on the ground now sired by Tyler. Unfortunately, I can't remember who he was bred to. But if you contact Petra she can tell you.

I thought you meant show but working lines. I was having a hard time coming up with one. There are many show lines with nice work ability but can't seem to come up with many Bc. You look and not much history back there. Willcare, Fawnhaven, Salona Hills lines have always had that ability but don't know if they have Bc or know of one. Show lines.

Hi,
Yes.. I am primarily looking at show/working lines.. and you are right , having a tough time coming up with a Bc dog.
I love a great working dog.. but still want the classic good looks of a classic Labrador.
Thanks all

I found a list of labradors with performance and conformation titles on the website for the Labrador Retriever Club. There are many show champions with Master Hunter titles on the other end. You can scroll through them and hit some kennel names for your search there. I think most good breeders will be glad to help you find what you seek related to their foundation dogs.

At a hunt test I always look to see if there are any SH, or MH with Ch. in front of their names. Then I come home and surf sites from the pedigrees to see what produces beauty, brains, drive, and good genes for health.

Good luck. The search is like solving a mystery. Such fun.

At Potomac this year I fell head over heels for a B(c) boy Lor-al's Peterbuilt aka Dooley. I know that Laura works him often and as you can see by his pictures he has drive.
Good Luck in your search!

Wasn't Ch.Cook's Midnight Bandit MH Bc? I think he has passed on??, but that's maybe a start.

Are you more concerned with work ethic/structure or color? There are at best a handful of show-line breeders who have produced dogs with a pedigree full of proven working dogs behind them, so it will be hard enough to find the structure,work ethic, and pedigree you want in the same dog. Being picky about color is just going to make your find that much more difficult when you will also have to consider health clearances on top of it. Color is just not important in the overall scheme of things, although I do understand people having their personal preferences. I would look for breeders who are producing the most important aspects you are looking for and try to pick up the more cosmetic aspects in a future generation.

Follow your dream. There is a great looking, working Bc stud out there somewhere.

I tried to email you privately but it would not go through. My friend owns this dog that you might be interested in looking at, he is training for his SH right now. I own his sister.

http://home.infionline.net/~cedrwood/id13.html