Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color

If you breed a pure chocolate to a pure yellow. You will get all blacks that carry yellow and chocolate?

Re: Color

Don't think you can get ANY black.

Blacks w/b doubtful.

Go to the Blueknight Labrador site. I swear that is what I am reading.

Yes, you will get 100% Byc's.

If you breed a pure for yellow to a pure for chocolate you ONLY get black puppies and all will carry both yellow and chocolate

Check out Blue Knights - You will get all blacks that carry yellow and chocolate.

http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

Thank you! I just wanted to be sure i was reading correctly.

Cool - tks for the info & link! Always good to learn something new and Blueknight's website is great for info.

Is a pure yellow just a yellow that does not carry chocolate?

Is a pure yellow just a yellow that does not carry chocolate?

Yes, pure for yellow, pure for chocolate, pure for black, does not carry anything else.

That's what they mean, but you said it better.

All blacks, carrying yellow and chocolate. It just goes to show you how much wrong information is out there. The first couple of answers you were given were 100% wrong. Scary.

You will get blacks because black is the dominate color of the breed. Some Labrador "purists" say that the only REAL Labrador is a Black one - yellows and chocolates have been "bucketed" in the long ago past of our breed.

Misinformation

Yes it is scary how many "experts" are out there willing to share their misinformation. It's a lot of "well I was told.....". I know not everyone is a fact checker but you need to consider the source.

As others have pointed out a yellow (eeBB) to chocolate (EEbb) breeding will produce all blacks. Also if the yellow carries chocolate but the chocolate does NOT carry yellow then again all blacks AND if the yellow does not carry chocolate but the chocolate carries yellow then again all blacks. Only when the chocolate carries yellow AND the yellow carries chocolate can you get all three colors.

Also you can't have black without liver (chocolate). Black and liver are the same gene - dominant and recessive forms. All breeds that are black are also liver - Newfoundland, Flat Coat, Labrador, Poodle, etc. The liver color in our breed has been there since the beginning - the dominant color was selected for early on but the chocolates were always produced and always present. Yellows were documented early on as well and most sporting breeds also have a form of yellow/red along with black/liver. Again the blacks were bred and selected but the yellows and chocolates were always there.

Re: Misinformation

Tks Sharon. Always good to learn something new & just reconfirms why I wouldn't get into breeding. Way too much info out there that MUST be known and misinformation to go with it I bet.

"Also if the yellow carries chocolate but the chocolate does NOT carry yellow then again all blacks AND if the yellow does not carry chocolate but the chocolate carries yellow then again all blacks."

Sharon, if the yellow carries chocolate, bred to a chocolate, you would/could get both blacks and chocolates, not just blacks. Similarly, if the chocolate carries yellow bred to a yellow, you would/could get blacks and yellows, not just blacks. Am I missing something? I know you know your stuff.

Yes, a chocolate bred to a yellow carrying chocolate will produce chocolates as well as blacks (however no yellows if the chocolate is pure for chocolate).

You are correct.

OK I know someone will say I should have a good smack on the side of my head, but I'm saying it anyway. Please learn to use the scientific notation for color. You know, the EeBb's. This is high school biology level stuff. I'd like to think virtually everyone on this forum has a high school education. This is not rocket science. If you spent a half hour you would have this down cold and be able to explain it to your grandmother. This would sure beat using imprecise terms that nobody is sure how to use.

Sharon(WigWag)
Yes it is scary how many "experts" are out there willing to share their misinformation. It's a lot of "well I was told.....". I know not everyone is a fact checker but you need to consider the source.

As others have pointed out a yellow (eeBB) to chocolate (EEbb) breeding will produce all blacks. Also if the yellow carries chocolate but the chocolate does NOT carry yellow then again all blacks AND if the yellow does not carry chocolate but the chocolate carries yellow then again all blacks. Only when the chocolate carries yellow AND the yellow carries chocolate can you get all three colors.

Also you can't have black without liver (chocolate). Black and liver are the same gene - dominant and recessive forms. All breeds that are black are also liver - Newfoundland, Flat Coat, Labrador, Poodle, etc. The liver color in our breed has been there since the beginning - the dominant color was selected for early on but the chocolates were always produced and always present. Yellows were documented early on as well and most sporting breeds also have a form of yellow/red along with black/liver. Again the blacks were bred and selected but the yellows and chocolates were always there.

Are you sure this is correct information Sharon. Seems incorrect to me.

"Also if the yellow carries chocolate but the chocolate does NOT carry yellow then again all blacks AND if the yellow does not carry chocolate but the chocolate carries yellow then again all blacks. Only when the chocolate carries yellow AND the yellow carries chocolate can you get all three colors."

If you breed a yellow that carries chocolate to a chocolate that does not carry yellow, you can expect blacks and chocolates.

If you breed a yellow that does not carry chocolate to a chocolate that carries yellow, you can expect blacks and yellows.

That is my understanding. Am I wrong?

Boy there sure is a lot of confusion over something so literally simple it's amazing.

Just figure it this way.

Black is dominant. EVERY Labrador carries black.
In order to produce puppies of either other color (yellow or chocolate) BOTH parents have to carry that color.

In other words....
If BOTH parents do not carry chocolate, you CANNOT get chocolate puppies. If BOTH parents do not carry yellow, you CANNOT Make yellow puppies.

Simple.

Ugh. So sorry - I was so focused on getting to the equation that produced "all three colors" versus just black that I typed away quickly before heading out and didn't double check. I wasn't thinking about anything else!!!

Yes of course if you breed a yellow that carries chocolate (eeBb) to a chocolate that doesn't carry yellow (EEbb) you will get 50/50 black and chocolates. If you breed a yellow that doesn't carry chocolate (eeBB) to a chocolate that carries yellow (bbEe) you will get 50/50 blacks and yellows.

Not everyone understands the full nomenclature.

Re: color

Here is a link to an article that gives a good basic description of the genetics of Lab color. I am not in any way associated with the owner of the website or article.

The material is copyrighted, however, in the copyright it says that the links to articles appearing on her web site are permitted.

www.labbies.com/genetics.htm