Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ivermectin Doasage question

Just say a person was to use cattle injectable ivermectin for monthly worming in their dogs-just per say, what is the correct dosage for oral application? I have received conflicting information. Is it .1 cc per 10 lbs of body weight or .10 per adult dog? Just speculating here, curious if you will.

Re: Ivermectin Doasage question

the reason you get conflicting amounts is breeders use it for different reasons.

there are different ways to use this product:

1. straight out of the bottle for heartworms and internal parasites
2. straight out of the bottle for heartworm only
3. compounded with carrier for heartworm and internal parasite
4. compounded with carrier for heartworm only.

just for these 4 ways you will get 20 different answers. The reason is because it is off label and there is no written directions for the use in canines.

you can search this forum for past discussions and get info that will help you make the best choice for your dog.

I have been using it for 20 years at .10cc per 10 lbs. We also have livestock so I use this product often and feel comfortable with its high safety zone.

good luck!

My old vet, long since retired, calculated the dosage for me. I have been using this for the past 20 years.

Mix 2 cc's ivermec with 100 cc propylene glycol.
Administer the mixture as follows:
3 cc's for a 60 pound dog
4 for an 80 pound dog
5 for a 100 pound dog

You don't have to be really precise. This dosage will take care of heartworm, but is very, very small compared to what is prescribed for mange. It is very safe. Just be sure to shake well. You can squirt it right on the kibble.

I have always used .10cc per adult dog for heartworm and know other breeders that use the same amount.

Jennifer,

Your dosage is the closest to the actual amount of Ivermectin that is in Heartguard, .10cc per dog. I think it actually comes out .07cc for a 70lb dog. I use the same amount, .10cc per dog, not per 10lbs of dog for heartworm prevention.

For mange they use higher dosages, but you don't need that for heartworm.

Mike

I use the straight from the bottle at .10cc per 10 lbs. this is for the treatment of heartworms and internal parasites.

Have used this dosage for over 20 years as well. My vet is the one that started me on it, way back when.