Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breeder not registering puppy

I bought a show prospect puppy from a well known canadian breeder and was told the ckc registration papers would come in the mail. This puppy was not sold with any sort of non breeding agreement as I have dealt with the breeder before. The puppy is now 11 months old and I have not gotten anything. At six months I was told the paperwork was coming soon but now my emails are going unanswered. He is obviously busy with several litters due or recently whelped as advertised on the website. Can someone suggest a polite way of making it very clear that I need these papers without offending this well known breeder. He is breaking the rules and could be fined by the ckc for this but I really don't want to go that route and make an enemy here. Not sure what to do next?

Re: breeder not registering puppy

JMO - pick up the phone and call him.

He doesn't sound like a well known breeder.

Call the CKC they will handle everything, and a hefty fine will ensue for the breeder.

Ask the breeder for the litter registration number, if there isn't one, then you were swindled, you should have gone home with such a number.

In canada you must register each puppy in a timely manner.

JMO - you say you've dealt with this breeder before and I'm assuming that you have a good repoir or you wouldn't have gone back to him again for another pup. If so, CALL him and if you get no results (litter reg. #), then contact the CKC.
Good luck!

Girl, you were robbed by this breeder. Not only should you call the CKC, tell everyone you know in the Lab world who this person is and if he is a reputable breeder, he will keep his word, a real breeder doesn't want to ruin his reputation.

BOB, try not to stir that pot too hard!

CM, what would you know, before making any comments in any forum, read books and learn, you said that there was no way to have black puppies from a pure yellow with a pure chocolate, hello! any body home?
Can't beleive you wrote that.
Your comments have no meaning, who's gona take you serious after that, just read the posts, don't help!

CM has been very helpful in the past and has always been polite about it......do you know everything when you enter into a discussion? I would assume even you are not to old to learn new things?

There is no excuse for a breeder not to have the papers of the puppies 6-8 weeks after they are born. If they were pending on the Dam papers, they shouldn't have bred her. If they are pending on the sire papers, is because they haven't paid the stud fee.
I register my puppies and the papers are back within 5 days. I cannot imagine CKC is much different.
All the breeders I've deal with have always provide papers with the puppy. Even when there is many co-breeders. Even with imported Studs.
I would give a due date, and after that I would call CKC.

Canadian breeder, has a website, with at least 2 litters recently whelped advertise on the website, what else?

Breeder
There is no excuse for a breeder not to have the papers of the puppies 6-8 weeks after they are born. If they were pending on the Dam papers, they shouldn't have bred her. If they are pending on the sire papers, is because they haven't paid the stud fee.
I register my puppies and the papers are back within 5 days. I cannot imagine CKC is much different.
All the breeders I've deal with have always provide papers with the puppy. Even when there is many co-breeders. Even with imported Studs.
I would give a due date, and after that I would call CKC.

This just tells me that you've not dealt with the CKC.

I had done everything right with my last litter, a sire from the US, sent papers to the AKC the day after the litter was born, off to the CKC a few days later, and then waited. And waited. Three days before the puppies were 8 weeks old I got the litter registration numbers. Not the actual dog's registration, but the litter registration, which then needs to be individually filled for each puppy. Well, my girl, the mother of the puppies was co-owned, in a three way and there was another sheet that was needed for this section, but all filled in, sent them off. 9 weeks later, received a note that they were incorrect. Corrected them, resent. Three weeks later, another one returned. And then on the final time, when I got all my registrations back, there were 4 spelling errors on their part.

Off they went again.

The CKC is nothing if not completely inefficient.

IF this particular buyer took that puppy home without a litter reg'n number, in the US, you'd be up the proverbial creek. The CKC gives 6 months for good reason, their own inefficiency.

BOB - you're right but you forgot to add my other posts on that thread such as "Cool - tks for the info & link! Always good to learn something new and Blueknight's website is great for info." and "Tks Sharon. Always good to learn something new & just reconfirms why I wouldn't get into breeding. Way too much info out there that MUST be known and misinformation to go with it I bet." I do not profess to KNOW everything (genetics & biology included) but do KNOW from personal experience that the CKC's system is less than steller as noted by "Another Canuk's" post and simply made a constructive suggestion that the OP CALL the breeder to make direct contact. That way a deadline can be set & plans can be made if the necessary paperwork isn't in hand ASAP. Have a great evening and tks Labs!

Contact the stud dog owner, perhaps the stud fee has not been paid? Then call the breeder with all the facts in front of you ?? If you are then not satisfied, report the breeder.

is it in any way possible that your breeder somehow has the wrong contact information for you? I mean that he may have sent you the papers, but to the wrong address? I realize that you both have dealt with each other before, but if his kennel is so hectic as you describe, it may be possible that your contact information has become switched with some one else's such that he thinks he sent the papers to you, and some one else got them and just discarded them as a mistake. As I said, highly unlikely, but then again, stranger things have happened. Perhaps an actual phone call really may be necessary, if for no better reason than he can let you know what is happening.

Call CKC and ask them if the litter was reg'd - all you'll need is the dam and sire's - actually- only the dam's - the registration name. not necessarily the number.

If the litter was reg'd - ask them if any individual registrations were done for the litter. if so- get yourself a copy of the certificate, if not- ask them how to proceed.

CKC regulates that a breeder has 6 months to register an individual from the date of purchase.

There are valid reasons why it could have been delayed though-

I had a litter take months to get the litter registration due to a stall from one of the stud owners not co-operating with the litter registration. All went thru in the end- but it took months-

CKC should be able to tell you if something is pending as well- and if so- it's between the breeder and CKC - but you'll know the breeder is doing what they can to get the registration completed for you.

you can email me privately if you'd like more info or assistance on this.

Call the breeder and make sure that the paperwork is not delayed due to any crisis at that end. Sometimes when health or other problems pop up, paperwork is the first thing to go down the tubes and the person might just be private with such things.

BOB
Girl, you were robbed by this breeder. Not only should you call the CKC, tell everyone you know in the Lab world who this person is and if he is a reputable breeder, he will keep his word, a real breeder doesn't want to ruin his reputation.

Your remarks are entirely too tough. What if there was a reason such as a death or health? There's no reason to tell the entire Lab World. What if they were lost in the regular mail system? I had a cheque lost that way and was reissued to me. I waited 3 months for it. It was never cashed and showed up after the new cheque partially shredded. It looked like someone went postal on it teehee.

This is how rumours begin, by telling other breeders before resolution. Let the owner find out why she doesn't have the paperwork. 11 mo. of age is an unacceptable time frame.

Email & phone one more time, then off to CKC for the records. That's the way to do it, not blabbing to the entire Lab Community. Your response is overdone 2 times now BOB.

G.L. to the O.P.

I am not interested in revealing this breeder's name and harming their reputation. That is not why I posted here. I was hoping to get some idea of how to properly deal with this situation without ruffling feathers.

The breeder used their own stud dog and both the stud and dam are ckc registered. There should be no delay that would cause this to take 11 months! Yes, there may be other issues like health that the breeder is dealing with but they are managing to whelp and raise multiple litters with more planned for the months ahead so obviously they are capable of doing paperwork. I sent my mailing address again a few months ago as a reminder. I am sure there is no problem getting paperwork to me and checking with ckc there has been no puppy registered to me this year.

I am at a loss. It looks as though I am going to have to sever ties with this breeder and probably end up with an enemy now because the only way I can get those papers is to report him and that will cause him a large fine.

Is there a litter registration on file??? Pls, before you do anything drastic, just pick up the phone. Then you'll KNOW and not be wondering "what if". JMO I hope it works out okay in the end.

This should be handled privately, not on the forum. Why do I think tongue tied simply has an axe to grind and wants the whole world to hear about it?