Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
level bite in 5 month old lab puppy

Anyone know if teeth will come out and correct a level bite with time? My female who hates having her mouth examined. {working diligently on that} appears to have a level bit. Teeth do not exactly come togther at the top of the teeth, but definitely do not go over the front of the lower teeth either, eg Scissor bite. How bad for showing could this be, or does it make it very hard to be recognized by judges in shows for points?

Re: level bite in 5 month old lab puppy

Can't say for sure, but I would not expect it to get better. I have had several with scissor bites as puppies & young adults, go level as they got older.

Level bite is acceptable. I would hold on to her if she is nice. Wait and see.

SHE IS EXTREMELY NICE! I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE THAT A SCISSOR BITE AS A PUP CAN GO TO LEVEL LIKE THAT. FIRST TIME FOR ME. I PLAN ON HANGING ON TO HER. tOP TEETH JUST DON'T COME OVER THE BOTTOM AS THEY SHOULD. DAMN!!!!! THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lower jaw grows last, so indeed, a scissors bite can go level or under, and much more often than not, don't correct.

I bought a puppy at 8 months who had a level bite and it did correct later on. She never produced a level bite either, nor any other bite issues.

Thanks so much for all the replies. Just love this site for gathering much needed info. Her sire and dam have perfect scissor bites and all siblings have correct also. I am praying it corrects or she doesn't get a terribly undershot bite. I am glad to hear it isn't something she may throw to her pups, if she is bred. We will wait it out.

anon
Thanks so much for all the replies. Just love this site for gathering much needed info. Her sire and dam have perfect scissor bites and all siblings have correct also. I am praying it corrects or she doesn't get a terribly undershot bite. I am glad to hear it isn't something she may throw to her pups, if she is bred. We will wait it out.

If she does have a bad bite as an adult (something you don't know yet), you absolutely can not say it won't be passed on to her puppies. Bites are certainly a genetic issue and you'd be fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I agree. My good results were a sample of one

I UNDERSTOOD THAT POINT. THERE IS ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY OF IT TO BE PASSED ALONG WITH A ZILLION OTHER FAULTS IT SEEMS. WHAT WOULD IT BE TO BREED THE "PERFECT DOG?"THE QUEST WOULD BE OVER!! HA!!!!! THEN BEHIND THAT ONE PERFECT DOG THAT WAS USED, GENERATIONS OF FAULTS BEHIND HIM WOULD SPILL THEIR BAD STUFF OVER AND HERE WE GO AGAIN!

How about not writing your whole post in caps - it's considered "yelling", plus it's very hard to read that way.

I am sorry about that. Definitely wasn't intending to yell. My vision is poor and easier for me to see. Sorry!!!!!!!!!1