Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Apple cider vinegar??

Remind me what it is good for? I finally found it with the "mother", and now I can't remember what it was being recommended for.

Re: Apple cider vinegar??

It's good for maintaining proper PH in people, urinary tract issues, digestion problems. Imagine it would work for dogs, too.

it is supposed to help with yeast issues too...feet/ears

It is good for yeasty ears, skin, and itching. This has been discussed at length on another forum and I have been adding it to my Gab's food with good results in a two week period. She is prone to yeasty ears. You can find it under the brand name Braggs or look for organic unpasturized apple cider vinegar. "The Mother" is the cloudy residue that is the "starter" if you will. Trader Joe's has it. Start with one tablespoon per feeding then up it to two. I mixed honey in the bottle and shook it up good. The stuff is strong and your Labbie will probably notice it.

Do you add the honey just to cover up the strong vinegar taste, or does the honey have health benefits too? Do your dogs act like they hate the taste?

Don't add it to the water long term it will erode the enamel.

I have heard that mixing equal parts apple cider vinegar and honey(over a low flame) is good for lameness and joint aches and pains in both humans and dogs.

Gabi looks at my sorta like "why did you have to put that stuff in?", but she eats none the less....

It also works well for dry flakey skin.

Add it to food with water added to dilute it a bit. I use 1 tbsp in p.m. meal.

If the dog won't eat it try splitting the amount in a.m. and p.m. meal.

It is also supposed to be good to spray on hot spots. If open/sore skin dilute 50/50 with water.

Here is more info:

http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=973742

I buy the Bragg brand of ACV. It is a great pick me up tonic for humans - mix honey and ACV with a little warm water, and drink up. The honey has B Vitamins, among other, and really helps if you are worn down, mid-day.

Remember that ACV is alkaline, not acidic, and too much of it can result in a high Ph in the urine. Struvite crystals like an alkaline environment.

Vinegar is acidid. And that includes apple cider vinegar.

ACV is the exception - see Paragraph 3 in this link:

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/tips_to_balance_ph

I checked on this before adding it to one of my dogs who had a pretty nasty UTI. Yes it is odd, it is the exception to the rule.