Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy with an over bite

I am a bit of a newbie and need some advice. I have owned Labs for years and have decided to try my hand at showing a bit. I am really excited about it. I found a reputable breeder and placed a deposit on a show quality pup. At 6-weeks the pup has started to show an over bite. The breeder said this is something that may or may not correct as the pup develops.
Can anyone give me some advice this. Will she grow out of it? What are the percentages of it?
The breeder has offered me my deposit back if I wish.
Thank you for any advice you can give.

Re: Puppy with an over bite

With showing as competitive and expensive as it is you really need to try to purchase the best pup that you can. I can't say what will happen with this pup's bite, and perhaps other members of this forum have some experience, but would the breeder be willing to let you purchase a pup from a future breeding?

Johanne

I would have patience and wait for the next one to come along. Don't settle. If I were the breeder I wouldn't sell her as a show prospect to anyone.

Accept her offer to return your deposit and start over again.

I have never seen a bad bite correct itself(not that it does'nt happen!).Best to start from scratch!

I have seen an overbite get much better. Not perfect but almost.
The girl was bred and all pups had a perfect bite.

Why start out behind the 8 ball? Better to pass on this puppy.

The questions you need to ask yourself are this:

Do you really want the puppy as a show prospect or do you want the puppy as a family companion?

Do you really want to show?

Even with a perfect show quality, there is no guarantee that the puppy will make the grade as a show dog when he or she is an adult.

Puppies are always a gamble. I have seen puppy over-bites change to scissor bites, and I have seen puppy scissor bites change too. And that is not all there is to waiting on a show potential puppy. Conformation, temperament, and attitude are a must.

If are wanting to seriously show, consider an older puppy that is 12 months+

Now you have a 12 month old show potential puppy---
but what about clearances? Another year or so, and you will find out

still a gamble, so maybe you want to buy an adult with clearances

And we are now taking about thousands of dollars in a show dog vs a puppy who is thousand or less.

and there is the expense of showing & breeding.

still want to show?

Personally, I would have placed the puppy with the over-bite on limited registeration with no breeding rights.