Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
turmeric supplement for arthritis

Has anyone used this supplement and if so, how has it worked for your dogs ?

Re: turmeric supplement for arthritis

Never heard of this - I'll be interested to see the responses too.

I have not used anything tumeric. Here is an article from 2006 that you might find interesting.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/547249

Some people use oral alfalfa for themselves and dogs for inflammation, e.g. arthritis and have had great success. You might want to check into that also but always add anything with your vet or doctor's okay.

I am giving turmeric to my dogs, but not for arthritis. It was recommended to me by a friend who is a vet and does human cancer research at a University. She is finding that turmeric is a good preventative for cancer. The dam of my bitch died of cancer at the age of 8. The type of cancer has not been proven to be genetic, but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. She said she takes it and gives to all of her dogs. As a side note, my bitch has been bred and I stopped the turmeric and will resume after she weans her puppies. My friend said it should be fine for a pregnant bitch, but she has not found any studies to confirm that, so recommended not using it while she is pregnant or nursing. Also have another friend whose 90 yr old mother has Alzheimers and it was recommended for her to help with brain function.
Julia

Tumeric helps boost the immune system and contains beneficial plant-based antioxidants (flavonoids) that help fight cell-damaging free radicals and inflamation. I have been using it myself and giving it to my dogs for years.

I have been using this supplement for two yrs. W/ good success (for myself- I have arthritis in both knees). As mentioned it has anti-inflammatory properties. Great idea rouse w/ dogs.