Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Email Inquiries

Just wondering how you experienced breeders deal with emails regarding litters that are vague, don't contain sender's contact information, etc.

do all of you have puppy questionnaires on your websites? Do you ask the person to call you and have several telephone conversations?

How do you weed the sheep from the goats?

Re: Email Inquiries

I just recieved an email like this. "Please send me information on any puppies you have available."
I tell them to give me a call so we can talk. Doubt I'll hear from them...

I will "generally" answer the questions they may have. I usually say something like "thanks for your inquiry. We do have puppies, that will be ready to go home 6/5/09. Please take a moment to fill out this questionnaire if you are seriously considering a puppy, this way you will be included on any updates sent out about the litter. And feel free to email me any specific questions you may have about the pups"

That usually weeds out the first round of looky-lou's. If it progresses from there, I want a phone call and them to visit my home.

I just had a very similar inquiry. Very short inquiry along the lines of "not sure if I have contacted you, looking for puppy". I replied with the expected date of birth, and approximately when they would be ready to go home, and please fill out my questionnaire, so that we can set up a time to talk. They replied with a "how much for a black male, I have had only pound puppies".

If they can't follow easy to understand directions now, how can I expect them to follow them later, with one of my puppies? I deleted the email.

I have a general draft email that I send that gives general info about us, our dogs and prices.

In the email, I specifically ask that they contact by phone if they have continued interest.

How interesting - I just had a similar inquiry and that was why I asked the question .. When I go looking for a puppy I tell the breeder everything about myself, where I live, what I do, the type of home I can offer, provide references and name of my vet as well as their website.. I sorta think if they can't tell me all that then they are just kicking tires .. but I also don't want to discourage legitimate prospective purchasers ..

Thanks all for the input - very much appreciated.

I have found something happen but not too often. Some vague inquiries asking for price only are other breeders. Apparently, they feel others are *competition* for their litter or litters on the ground. Other times, they want to see how much others are charging for a litter of theirs that is due.

Heck, call or send me email and ask me! I'll tell another breeder the truth always. Why beat around the bush? We all need to work together.

I strongly suggest using the questionnaire method for people inquiring about puppies. If you word it right, you find out a lot about the person - I then email them back saying thanks for the inquiry, I'll check with their references and get back to them via phone about their future critter. Once everything looks great - then are they invited over to the house, and we talk over tea. Usually they dont see the puppies until we know they feel right. We sometimes know this simply by the reaction of our house dogs to their entrance. If they allow you through, and start laying on your feet at the bottom of the chair - then you have a chance of fitting in :) We also suggest that kids are left at home, until the parents are sure they are wanting a puppy. The one thing that I hate hearing is the kid screaming and yelling when they hear the parents say No to the puppy.

On a side note,
Funny thing - I just was asked if we have "mini labs"

Oh boy heh.