Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Type of Payment for Puppy Purchase?

When folks are coming to pick up their little darling, what do most of you accept in the form of payment?
Do you ask for cash, money order, cashier's check or do you feel comfortable with a personal check?
That was what I was going to accept.
I really like this family but am I being foolish if I do not ask for a more secure form of payment?

Re: Type of Payment for Puppy Purchase?

I offer payments over time by check, this allows it to clear
but if payment is still due at pick up...the week before pick up
I send out an email to remind them about food, vet visits, training tips, directions, confirming time and date of appointment AND

"balance due of _______ must be paid in cash or certified bank check or you can pay using paypal (please add 3% fee to the balance due). Your puppy will go home with all required paperwork."

Never had anyone show up with a personal check, unless it is cleared first.

If you make it clear this is your policy before hand then you wont have any embarrassing issues.

Be upfront with puppy people & go with what's EASIEST for you. Do you really want to have to track people down if there's a problem??? JMO

We have always taken personal checks, never had a problem, and will continue to trust the families that get one of our puppies.

We ask for cash or cashier's check, though we did accept personal checks from a few who forgot to read the email I sent out.

I don't like being suspicious of folks, but if their check bounces and they have the puppy, you are out of luck.

I am continuously surprised by the number of people who ask me if I'd like cash. That must mean that most people know it is best to be on the safe side. It also suggests that people will not be at all offended if you request payment in cash.

I send puppies home at 9 weeks, and puppies must be paid in full at 7, when I've made my choice, it saves the awkward 'And how did you want to pay' as the puppies are going home.

It also gives me time to put the checks in the bank and see if it bounces, it never has.