Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Time Between Puppy Shots

Group of us were talking about the time needed between puppy shots.
Some have said three weeks and others have said four.
Comments from the forum?

Re: Time Between Puppy Shots

My vet says, (and thus I pass on to my puppy buyers) no less than 3 weeks and no more than 4 weeks, so it gives a window of about a week.

I myself try to look at my shedule, whether or not I'm going to be going to a show, and judge my timing so as to best avoid risk. So if it's possible, I'll give my pup the second shot before I go away, in order that they can be building antibodies before and while I'm gone. Makes me feel a bit more confident, for what it's worth.

I shoot for every 3 weeks, but do not panic if I am off a few days.

3 shots at 4 week intervals. Starting at 8 weeks.

every four weeks: 8, 12, 16

Ditto - this is what my vet says. Three shots at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. The rabies done around 6 months so the immune system isn't overwhelmed.

I do at 3 1/2 week intervals. First at 7 1/2 weeks, second at 11 weeks and 3rd at 14 1/2 weeks. I wait a week or two and then do the rabies.

you run the risk of some of your puppies not acquiring full immunity unless one vaccine is given after the 16th week.

I give a vaccine (3 shots...given at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks) which overides maternal antibodies, so full immunity can occur before the 16th week. Make sure of the vaccine you use before assuming your pup has immunity if your last shot is given before 16 weeks.

anon
you run the risk of some of your puppies not acquiring full immunity unless one vaccine is given after the 16th week.

why? As long as they have received at3 -4 boosters they will be covered.
what makes after 16 weeks?

anon

As long as the last shot is not given prior to 16 weeks you are covered. I also agree with not doing rabies till 6 months.

The only problem with waiting for rabies until 6 months (which I usually try to do), is that if the puppy has to go to the vet for another reason, they will not see it if it is older than 3 months until it has a rabies shot (3 months is the law around here).

If the vaccine actually overides maternal antibodies, then why do you have to give it more than once?

"I give a vaccine (3 shots...given at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks) which overides maternal antibodies, so full immunity can occur before the 16th week. Make sure of the vaccine you use before assuming your pup has immunity if your last shot is given before 16 weeks."

I use a vaccine which is proven to override maternal antibodies and have had the challenge studies done to demonstrate a long term coverage of immunity (3 year). Most vaccines do not override maternal antibodies and have not had the challenge studies done to show the long lasting immunity. A vaccine will not provide adequate immunity unless the pup's immune system is sufficiently mature and the maternal antibodies are no longer in the pup's system (usually not until 16 weeks). That is why most pharmaceutical companies recommend that you vaccinate more frequently and instruct you to give the final shot after the 16 week period (when the puppy's system is mature enough to mount a proper immune response). Since puppies mature at different rates, you run the risk of giving an injection before the pup's immune system can mount a sufficient response to the vaccine to ensure future immunity. I am not a vet and only have a basic understanding of the principles involved. This is the protocol recommended by my veterinarian. If you have any questions you should ask an immunologist for a better explanation.

breeder you do have more than a basic understanding, what you wrote is exactly why one shot should be after 16 weeks. They have done numerous studies of puppies in whole litters, there immune systems reach a maturity level at different ages, most do reach at just past 16 weeks.... I believe the percentage to be 99.87%. The rest never acquire full immunity, this is why parvo still shows up in vaccinated dogs. If I remember correctly, at 12 weeks its 89-90% effective.

3 shots at 4 week intervals. Starting at 8 weeks.

I do exactly the same. No more 6 or 7 week starting shots. I also never give 2 shots of any type at 1 time. If the pup is due for their rabies or lepto, I wait and ask my puppy buyers to wait 2 weeks inbetween. I do this verbally and in writing with a reminder phone call. That of course is if their vet will listen to common sense. If there is a reaction, at least we know where it's coming from. The chance of a reaction is greater when a combo of 2 or more shots are given simultaneously.

Responding to two posts: If it is almost 100% effective at 12 weeks, why wouldn't you give a high titer low passage parvo vaccine at least by then? After all, we can track in parvo from anywhere, including the grocery store, and distemper is airborne. A fox with either one could cross the lawn. Some dogs and pups get parvo not because they can't mount an immune response, but because of the type of vaccine, the way the vaccine was given or stored--using alcohol on skin just before injection might inactivate vaccine--etc. I have had a pup vaccinated with Progard DPV at 12 weeks titered a few weeks later to find that it did not need the vaccine at 16 weeks--the maternal antibody was overcome, and she will be done except for rabies for a year. Meanwhile, I could socialize the pup and not be so afraid, keeping her wrapped in cotton wool, of which I can be guilty! Conversely, I have had regular vaccines given even at 20 weeks not protect her grandmother from parvo, possibly because back then my vet taught us and his techs to swab with alcohol just before the injection. The then yearling did show high titers after surviving parvo, leading me to believe it was not the dog, but the vaccine and method of giving the injection that were at fault.Sometimes, though, one wishes one had a crystal ball for the maternal antibodies!