Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retro New York, NY Meet the Breeds, post Westminster KC, 1980s?

Sons are at costume parties, hubby's waiting to watch the World Series, and I just saw an old Westminster KC photo that brought up this question:
What midtown New York City bank used to have a pianist in the lobby playing a grand piano while folks waited on line,
used to host a post-Westminster KC "Meet the Breeds" in which an educational event showed a mini dog show with commentary followed by meeting the breeds and breeders?
I have to admit, I looked forward to this in the 1980s, and it made me fall madly in love with dog shows and dog show folk! (Even though I married a Yankee's fan.)
Was it Manhattan Savings Bank? A bank with a Beehive logo? Or the Bank of America near the Biltmore clock? We disagree here, but oh, it almost made depositing or cashing my tiny paycheck fun! It was near Murray Hill, or in Murray Hill, above Penn Station but below Grand Central in geography.
I met famous dogs, breeders and future judges, including folks from Springfield Labradors and Charlie the archetypal Portuguese Water Dog there, along with either the Newf Blackbeard or his kennelmate from Seawards.
Anyone else remember this?

Re: retro New York, NY Meet the Breeds, post Westminster KC, 1980s?

It was the Manhattan Savings Bank, on the southeast corner of 38th or 39th or 40th and Park Avenue, I believe.

Thanks. That is the place I thought. Somehow I don't think back then we could have imagined that this would become the Javitts Center with 35,000 people trouping past Micki in her Lab pajamas at the Labrador Retriever booth 25 years later! Education is a wonderful thing!

I remember, too -- it was the Manhattan Savings Bank on the SE corner of 44th or 45th on Madison Avenue. At that time, I worked in the Newsweek Building on Madison at 49th and walked past the bank every day. One day I noticed all these photos of dogs in their window and one was of a gorgeous black lab. I stared at the name: Ch Mardas Brandlesholme Sam's Song -- the sire of my almost 10 month old puppy! At lunchtime -- that's when they did the Meet the Breeds -- I went back and had the good fortune to meet Sam and his owner, Mrs. Clark. It was wonderful!
Thanks so much for the memory!