Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eukanuba for pregnant bitch

I want to feed my pregnant bitch and her puppies Eukanuba. For those who have fed Eukanuba, which formula do you use during pregnancy? I called the company and they know I have labs, they recommend Eukanuba small breed or Premium Performance for my bitch while she's pregnant and Eukanuba Puppy Growth for the puppies. I was a little surprised at their answer. TIA

Re: Eukanuba for pregnant bitch

Last year we had a litter we started on Eukanuba puppy as normal. They didn't like it and weren't doing well on it. So we called a friend who has been breeding at least 20 yrs longer than us & she said to use Small Breed Puppy formula. It worked like a charm! The puppies picked up and they liked it. Stranger things have happened in the dog food industry lately.

Hi... I have fed euk for years now and my dogs do very well on it. Pg/lactating moms are always on the premium peformance(in fact when I know I'm going to breed one of my girls, they are switched to it at the onset of their cycle) Dogs that are working eat this formula too.

Puppies are all raised on large breed puppy until at least 1 yr of age. Until the pups leave for their homes, the food is soaked thoroughly before feeding it. They also get bil-jac frozen as do pg/lactating moms as well.

Changing food
I want to feed my pregnant bitch and her puppies Eukanuba. For those who have fed Eukanuba, which formula do you use during pregnancy? I called the company and they know I have labs, they recommend Eukanuba small breed or Premium Performance for my bitch while she's pregnant and Eukanuba Puppy Growth for the puppies. I was a little surprised at their answer. TIA

Thank you Ken and Sherry!

I guess we are the only 3 people who feed Eukanuba .

Me too, puppy large breed.

I feed Euk except when I have a pregnant bitch. I won't feed flax, and the calcium phosphorous ratios have to be right. I switched over to Pro Plan Select but will go back to Euk after puppies are gone. I would just like to know why in doG's name the food companies insist on putting flax in every formula they produce. It's just NOT good....

Greg Lynch
I feed Euk except when I have a pregnant bitch. I won't feed flax, and the calcium phosphorous ratios have to be right. I switched over to Pro Plan Select but will go back to Euk after puppies are gone. I would just like to know why in doG's name the food companies insist on putting flax in every formula they produce. It's just NOT good....

I agree with you about the flax! Email the companies and express your opinion. It's hard to find a food without flax. The Eukanuba puppy formulas don't have flax and they now have pre-biotics.

Here is the ingredients list for the Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20. I don't see flaxseed listed unless it is under a different name.

Ingredients
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Corn Meal, Brewers Rice, Fish Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid], Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Minerals [Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate], Calcium Carbonate, Dried Chicken Cartilage (natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), DL-Methionine, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.
Calories:
431 kcal/cup

Crude Protein not less than 30.00 %
Crude Fat not less than 20.00 %
Crude Fiber not more than 4.00 %
Moisture not more than 10.00 %
Vitamin E not less than 140 IU/kg
L-Carnitine not less than 40 mg/kg*
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) not less than 0.1 %*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 2.9 %*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.50 %*
Glucosamine not less than 375 mg/kg*
Chondroitin Sulfate not less than 35 mg/kg*

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Thanks - do you happen to know what the calcium/phosphorous ratio is for Premium Performance 30/20?

Sorry, that was not on their website which is where I got this info from.

Greg Lynch
Thanks - do you happen to know what the calcium/phosphorous ratio is for Premium Performance 30/20?

Premium Performance NA
Moisture 10%
Protein 30.1%
Fat 20.8%
Fiber 1.70%
Ash 7.10%
Carbohydrate 30.77%

Calcium 1.50%
Phosphorus 1.10%
Ca:P ratio 1.36:1

DHA min. .10%
O-6 3.00%
O-3 0.30%
O-6:O-3 ratio 6:1

379 calories/cup

What is the proper calcium/Phos ratio for pregnant bitches? any why?

I looked it up on the internet last night, it was too late to remember where I found it, but I wrote down the numbers: Growth/Reproductive minimum calcium 1.0 and phos 0.8 The max is calcium 2.5 and phos 1.6 ca:ph ratio minimum 1:1 Maximum 2:1.

Thanks - I had emailed Eukanuba and received a response yesterday as well. Just what I was looking for.

What are the correct calcium phosphorous ratios for a pregnant bitch?