Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whelping pads needed

I need to purchase new whelping pads. I have the x-large Jonart whelping box and need imitation lambs wool ( sherpa ) pads to fit the boxes. Are there any places out there these days to get a good deal on them? They are oh so expensive ---don't you just love it when your little darlings chew a hole in the middle? LOL! Got to love them ........

Re: Whelping pads needed

I ordered the fleece from Jonart and they have lasted now through 5 litters and still look brand new. They are expensive but if they last for years, it seems to be a good investment. Plus they are the only place I could actually find vet fleece outside the UK!

I use their vet fleece as the bottom layer (above a shower pan liner) and for the first few days I put whelping pads on top of them, after that, I just have the vet fleece in there.

My first order was of the heaviest grade but I think that is a waste, so my next order, for their whelping pen was of the medium grade and I like that much better, it is less heavy and a bit less rigid.

Bonnie

Thanks for responding. Did you get the ribbed rubber backing or not?

I absolutely loved the whelping pads I bought from Whelpwise. They were great, washed up great and were not to warm for the puppies or mom. I plan on buying a couple more before my next litter so I always have clean ones on hand. They are not fleece though.

jb pet sells a nice one also, what I like is I don't have to buy 2 pieces like the whelpwise pads. 48 x 48 or 48 x 60 are in a single piece. I have a pad I've used for 12 years that's still holding up but have newer ones also. I use the older pad when the pups get older, it's a little flatter after many washings.

http://www.jbpet.com/Whelping-Box-Pad,1430.html

Bonnie Anthony MD
I ordered the fleece from Jonart and they have lasted now through 5 litters and still look brand new. They are expensive but if they last for years, it seems to be a good investment. Plus they are the only place I could actually find vet fleece outside the UK!

I use their vet fleece as the bottom layer (above a shower pan liner) and for the first few days I put whelping pads on top of them, after that, I just have the vet fleece in there.

My first order was of the heaviest grade but I think that is a waste, so my next order, for their whelping pen was of the medium grade and I like that much better, it is less heavy and a bit less rigid.

Bonnie

Jonart now sells wholesale if you purchase a roll.

*Check out our new ULTIMATE Veterinary Fleece!
We can now offer wholesale prices on all our Fleece. We are now an exclusive distributor for this fabulous fleece. Call for details and pricing. Minimum order is one roll. The average size roll is 12.5 yards. We are happy to send samples upon request.*

If you're going with the *Mercedes* of whelping supplies as Jonart calls themselves, try to get the wholesale prices.

Thanks for the information on the wholesale price now available for the vet fleece. I think I will buy a roll, it would go great in crates as pads and I can share it with friends who might want it for their whelping boxes!

The reason I was willing to pay the premium price is that vet fleece is supposed to be different and I found it as advertised - it wicks away liquid so the fleece itself stays dry (hence the shower liner underneath it), it doesn't retain heat and it doesn't pile. It also maintains its firmness and shape. And the only other place you can get vet fleece is to import it from England, where it is very popular and widely used because of its unique properties.

I did not get the rolled backing, for no particular reason except I didn't like how it looked.

I have two pads for the whelping box and two pads for the whelping pen. They cut it to size for you. I changed it every other day early on and then every third day or so after that. As I said it stays very dry and is odor free which is also a benny! It takes bleach and easily fit into my washing machine even the extra large size.

And the people at Jonart are great to work with as well!

(Gee I sound like an ad, sorry about that, I have no investment here except that I really liked it!)

Bonnie

take 4 bath towels. stitch 2 together, just along the long side. Do this twice, put them back to back, stich around the edges. You will have a heavy terry mat- many regular bath towels work up to a 48 inch by 48 inch mat without trimming them down. Make sure you wash and shrink before you cut down the edges though. These cost about $15 to make using Walmart towels. The mats did not slide around the whelping box because they were heavy, and were easy to wash. You can even get some nice quilt binding and trim the edges.