Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back to back

What are your thoughts and feelings about breeding back to back. Having a litter, then breeding again next heat.

Re: Back to back

How old is she? Have you done this before with this female? If not, how well did she recover after her last litter?

You should provide more details on your girl and we could help ya more

I was asked if I was going to breed Donut her next season. I said no, she had 8 puppies with no problems. But that was her first litter. And since I am planning a frozen implant for her next breeding my repro vet said that he didn't recommend breeding back to back. Everyone's dog is different. You have to do what you feel is right for you and your girl.

She is 3 1/2 first litter, no complications. Rebounding just fine.

There are positives and negatives to both sides. I have done it and will do it again if it is the right situation. The biggest drawback for me was not being able to see the puppies at a more mature age before I was making breeding decisions again.

Why do you want another litter, do you have people waiting? I breed when I have a list and I need something, the dogs have proven themselves to be a
good representative of the breed in some activity that
a Lab should be able to do. Hunt, obedience, agility,
tracking, conformation. They have passed all the clearances. If it is just to have a litter to sell
then my vote would be don't breed. JMHO, you asked.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. No, there is no rush. Yes, I do have a waiting list, and, I do want a puppy from the next breeding. All puppy people are willing to wait. I don't breed for a living, or to have my kennel survive on litters.

How many pups did she have? How long did it take? Did they all survive?

These are things to consider before you make up your mind.