Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can someone translate this to me?

"In dogs, the usual dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) every 12 hours for up to 6 weeks"

Let's make this easy please. So in teaspoons, how much per pound?

TIA!!

Re: Can someone translate this to me?

You need to know how many mg per tsp you have. What are you trying to dose?

Nothing at the moment just trying to figure out what the correct dose is for Tylan next time I need it. I found that online and never had seen it recommended "officially" for dogs before. It's always been 'a pinch", a 1/2 tsp, etc..
I don't know how to dose mg of powder

math idiot
Nothing at the moment just trying to figure out what the correct dose is for Tylan next time I need it. I found that online and never had seen it recommended "officially" for dogs before. It's always been 'a pinch", a 1/2 tsp, etc..
I don't know how to dose mg of powder

Dosing info is here, at the bottom under Treatment:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00425.htm

1 teaspoon has 5 ml. How is the concentration of the product you are trying to use? How many mg are there in 1 ml?
Teaspoon is a volume measurement. Mg is a weight measurement. You would need to know how many mg are there per ml or teaspoon.

There are 2.2kg/lb, so you can use that scale to get your "x."
It would make sense, that if there is 5-10mg/lb, then there would be 2.2x that per kg.
Determine how many pounds your dog weighs,then you give them 5-10mg/lb as directed.
What you need to figure out, is how many mg per ml/cc of fluid once you get how many mg's to administer.

It is not 2.2 kg per pound. It is 2.2 pounds per kilogram.

I use 1/8 teas. per 50 lbs 2X a day

Oh brother:( I need to stop posting after 7:00pm....my brain goes to sleep! Had it backwards:(

"It is not 2.2 kg per pound. It is 2.2 pounds per kilogram."