Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Karen Wilson

Can anybody please give me idea of what Karen likes or dislikes in a Labrador.What does she look for? I appreciate this....

Re: Karen Wilson

I've shown to Karen Wilson once. I don't think she was pleased when I free baited my bitch for exam and asked me hesitantly if my dog was ready to be examined. She did tell me that she loved my bitch and gave her WB/BOW, but told me she lost BOB because she was naughty! My bitch is missing a tooth and I don't think she could have cared less about it. This bitch is black and is a bigger, more substantial bitch. Hope this helps a little!

Can anybody please give me idea of what Karen likes or dislikes in a Labrador.What does she look for? I appreciate this....

I am wondering if she likes movement...thanks

movement, substance, blk

Absolutely movement and condition. Most all-breed judges are delighted when you show them a Labrador that is in GREAT condition and not FAT. If that Labrador has Type then the judges are usually elated.

She gave my boy a reserve instead of the points once and said he was 1 pound over weight. Sheesh give me a break. If you like a dog you like the dog 1 pound on a big typey boy should not make a difference.

Don't take a dog to her if it doesn't have all of its teeth and a perfect scissors bite.

Karen was very good freinds with Martha Lee Voshell (Broad Reach kennels) for years and went to many specialties with her. If you go back and look at the Broad Reach dogs, I think you'll get a pretty good idea about what she's looking for: fit, not overdone, clean and good moving.

Thank you for sharing that information with us. It's nice to know what they may be basing their placements on.

This is nothing more than my experience with Karen Wilson. She knows a nice dog but will put up a lesser quality dog if behavior is not perfect! Missing teeth do not seem to bother her. I would not show her a young dog or a dog who does not stand rock still. She has little patience for the dogs and is highly annoyed at exhuberant Labradors!

I have to say that my experiences with her this past summer were awful. She was rude to several exhibitors and failed to check bites on two dogs (one was mine). I would NEVER hire this woman, and I hire quite a few judges per year. It costs just as much to hire someone pleasant as it does to hire a crab... I only like crabs with drawn butter... :)

There are tons of shows to go to, why pick one with a poor judge? And if you know anyone on the show committee for that club, you can tell them why you didn't support their entry, too...

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

My mileage varied. She was exceedingly kind and patient. She puts up yellows as well as blacks, although what I showed her was a black 9 month old puppy and she put him up for a 3-point major, WD and BOW. He was exhuberant, but under control, and moved beautifully. I think what some people might call rude others recognize as managing her ring. I would show under her again.