Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with training

Hi Looking for help. Got my first lab two weeks ago. Breeder did a wonderful job training puppy. But since I have had her I am having problems biting, pulling and jumping. I want to learn as much as I can and do right by my little girl. She is to young yet to go to class(which i will do) but in the mean time is there any books I can read on raising a young lab and a good training book. Google it and got a ton of info but want the right stuff. No harse stuff.
TIA

Re: Help with training

Check the puppy packet your breeder gave you, then email your breeder. Your relationship should be with her/him .

Congrats on your new pup! JMO - go back to the breeder and pick her/his brain for ideas to get you going. There is a TON of info out there - so much it's overwhelming. Start with someone you trust. Good luck!

Stay far, far away from Cesar Millan as these methods are dangerous and lack credibility.
Here are some good DVDs that you can order from Dogwise:

Perfect Paws In 5 Days Featuring Jean Donaldson's Modern Training Methods - Jean Donaldson

Family Friendly Dog Training - A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog
by Patricia McConnell and Aimee Moore

and less recommended but still of value:

Training the Companion Dog Vol. 1, Socialization & Training - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 2: Behavior Problems - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 3, Walking & Heeling - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 4, Recalls and Stays - Ian Dunbar

Enjoy your new puppy

Just Breeder
Stay far, far away from Cesar Millan as these methods are dangerous and lack credibility.
Here are some good DVDs that you can order from Dogwise:

Perfect Paws In 5 Days Featuring Jean Donaldson's Modern Training Methods - Jean Donaldson

Family Friendly Dog Training - A Six Week Program for You and Your Dog
by Patricia McConnell and Aimee Moore

and less recommended but still of value:

Training the Companion Dog Vol. 1, Socialization & Training - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 2: Behavior Problems - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 3, Walking & Heeling - Ian Dunbar
Training the Companion Dog Vol. 4, Recalls and Stays - Ian Dunbar

Enjoy your new puppy

Anything by Patricia McConnel is worth it's weight in gold. Her books are small and inexpensive but so trustworthy. I also would first start with the breeder, then read the books.

I took my puppy to puppy class at 8 weeks,they teach ,Ian Dunbar methods ,it was a life saver,really! Biting,pulling and jumping are all taught with positive training ,it's good for your dog and for you and the family is definitly welcome to join in the training.The younger you start the better,my puppy is now 9 months (bitch)has a great temperament ,can leash walk no jumping and thank God she doesn't bite any more.What also helped ,we had an ex-pen in the house where she was put in in rougher times!!

Petsmart is generally NOT a wonderful place to train your dog, fyi. One of the places I train has a separate puppy entrance, and a separate puppy potty area, so I am usually comfortable going there for classes with a younger dog - sometimes I do carry them in.

I was speaking to my training director the other night and he said that if the pup is not in the crate, or if the pup is not outdoors, it should be attached to you 100% of the time. If the pup attempts to do something it isn't supposed to do an aattt aattt (or some other sound) BEFORE the behavior. Timing is something hard to learn. Go to dog training places in your area and ask to observe to see where you are comfortable. Are there any clubs?

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the list has a recommendation?

Best of Luck.

Dog Training for Dummies, and Trish Mcconnel's housebreaking booklet is good.

That is YOUR opinion. Cesar Millan has saved the lives of countless dogs whose owners otherwise would have put them to sleep on the advice of other trainers and vets.
Be careful what you spout off as fact.
Especially when you have no clue what you are talking about and are basing your words on OPINION.

Just Breeder

I suggest Ian Dunbar's DVD "Sirius Puppy Training" to all my families, even those who have had dogs before. I tell those with children to have the adults watch the DVD by themselves first and then pop some popcorn and have the whole family watch it together. That way all are on the same page and using the same words for commands. I also suggest that they do this BEFORE the puppy comes home so that they are consistent from the very beginning. I tell them there is no need to wait to start training when they go to a puppy training class. Give the puppy a few days to adjust and then start right in! Too many bad habits can form if you wait 'til that first official class! I also suggest a couple of websites to buy the DVD or that they try their local library. If the library doesn't have a copy, they can try to get it for them from another library. I had someone donate their copy to their local library when they were done with it, which was a nice gesture.

Congrats on your pup! I too have benifited greatly from the Ian Dunbar training philosophy (treat/praise/play rewards). Check out Sirius Puppy Training (siriuspup.org). I don't know how old your puppy is but don't try to teach too much too soon or too long. Keep it simple and always end training with a succesful exercise. For the biting, try "YIPE" in a high pitched voice. He'll stop right away and probably look at you to see if you are hurt then praise him for stopping. Give him something of his to chew on in place of what he was biting. Try ice as well, they love to chase it on the floor/concrete and it helps soothe their gums as new teeth are coming in. Ice makes great treats and play time for tiring. Reward him when he is behaving the way you want, like laying on his bed quietly. Try to catch all the good behavior even when you aren't asking for it and reward it. Keep little treats handy in your kitchen/bath/office so that you can immediately praise him for commands. If he starts getting dopey and super rambunchis (cannot spell that word!) give him a time out in his crate, he probably needs a nap. Remember that generally speaking his brain will not be fully developed until he is three. You are smart to start now. Email me if you would like some other handy tips. Have fun and be silly with him, it goes by so fast!

Actually, I am basing my word not on opinion, but on the science of Operant Conditioning which the is best model for behaviour that science can offer.
This is not only my opinion, but the opinion of every dog behaviour professional who has a PhD, no exceptions. It is also the official position statement of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/behavior/pdfs/AVSAB_Dominance_Statement.pdf

I am very careful of what I spout off as fact. If you wish to become more enlightened on the topic, I suggest you read Murray Sidman's Coercion And Its Fallout to begin learning more about behaviourism.