Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Learning from the handlers

I don't want to start a big debate here but just want to learn. I watched several breeds including ours at a show last weekend closely since I had nothing to compete with. I noticed the handlers seemed to take most of the placings. I know there are some political reasons to this (I saw judges smile familiarly at several of the handlers.) But I also noticed the handlers often do a better job - their overall presentation is better.

What do the handlers do that some of us as breeders miss? I thought they gated dogs slower than breeders, and the handler's dogs were more obedient.

Any other ideas or observations where the handlers are better so we can learn from them?

Re: Learning from the handlers

Attend a George Alston clinic. He is a handler and will share the answers to many of those questions with you and help you practice the techniques they use.

Some breeder/handlers practice and master the skills necessary and some of us, me included, don't have the drive necessary to stick with it, properly train our dogs, and practice practice practice. We hire handlers! I'm always amazed by those that think that no matter how badly their dogs behave they feel the judge should somehow imagine how that dog would look if he were standing four square and gaiting properly and place their dog.

A GOOD handler finds the speed that *your* dog looks best at, be it fast or slow. They find the best foot placement for *your* dog. They make sure a dog will show it's bite and stand for exam, and they don't show your dog in poor coat or out of condition.

I see there is a George Alston clinic in my area next year. I went to one about 8-9 years ago as a beginner with a dog. I wonder if I should go as an observer again, or take a dog into the Advanced class? Anyone have a suggestion about which would be more helpful to someone who has finished a few dogs, but still has a lot to learn?

Just a word of warning...

Don't go to a George Alston clinic, especially as a participant and not just an 'auditor', if you have thin skin!

Attended one of his clinics in the 80's (yes, that's 1980's) - learned a lot, but wouldn't do it again.

I study the big handlers. One thing that fascinates me is the handler will be in the ring and chatting with the other exhibitors. Without any fanfare, the handler keeps right on chatting and moves the dog. Look over and there is the judge turning so that she faces the exhibitors. The other exhibitors' dogs are not positioned for the judge to see them, but the handler's dog is. I think this comes from years and years experience. Unless you observe very, very carefully, you don't realize what is happening.

The idea is to have your dog ready when the judge is looking. When the judge is examing another dog then they are not looking at yours and you can relax a bit. Pay attention to the line up and have your dog ready when the judge is looking at the dog in front or in back of yours because those are the times to make a good presentation with your dog.

Watch closely what the handlers are doing. I have some key points that irk me about owner handlers.

1. When the judge says to take your dog straight to the corner and back, do that. Don't weave a path to somewhere in the general vicinity, and don't put yourself on the mat and the dog on the concrete. And for pete's sake, when you reach the corner and turn back, take a second or two and look at where the judge is. Bring your dog - not you - straight back to the judge, not someplace off to the right or left.

2. Teach your dog to stand still for "teeth" and for examination. The judge has only a few seconds to perform his hands-on examination. He doesn't have time to chase your dog's head trying to get a look.

3. Do NOT show your dog on an English lead unless you know what you are doing, and your dog is used to it. If you use an English lead and have it draped incorrectly, and of course are free baiting and the dog has his rear legs too far forward, the topline will dip. Don't think this will impress the judge - and don't show that way under a breeder judge just because you see everyone else doing it. Their dogs are trained, but yours (and you) may not be.

These are just a few of my own personal observations. Get to a good handling class and you will have made a good investment in your ability to compete.

I have also seen Pro Handlers make noises and throw things when you are all in line waiting for the judge to look back over. Your own dog is the one that looks around and messes up. Also, when in a line they love to move out in front of you toward the ring blocking your dog. Also, not just the handlers but others who know what they are doing love to run up on you so you hardly have room to set up your dog. Just ask the line to move back. Be fun to go to the handlers seminar on how to mess up the "little people".

I've noticed this too. Like whipping a piece of bait out of the side of the ring, etc.

But the most important thing I notice that handlers have is that experience of being in the ring ALL the time, so their moves are just natural, and they don't even have to think about each move...its second nature to them. Those of us who handle sporadically can't possibly look so polished, relaxed, and poised. That only comes with time in the ring all the time, every day, all day.

I getting really irked when I've hired a handler and they are chatting in the ring with other people and NOT paying attention to my dog! Paying alot of money to have them show my dog and they can't do that when they are busy talking away to their friends in the ring. I have seen the judge look over to those waiting and my handler just chatting away and not paying attention to how my dog looks. It really makes me mad. I also get mad when my handler doesn't even say congratulations when my dog WINS! Should that not be a natural response to a clients dog winning? You would think so.