Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
re:Human lab tests for progesterone

Anyone had experience in using human lab testing for canine porgesterone. I used a reputable humal lab for my bitch this last time on the reccomendation of another breeder {reputable who is also a vet tech}. Results on friday was 2.5, two days prior was 1.2.two days prior to that .3 We did another progesterone Monday and was 6.8, so trans cervical insem. done next day afternoon. Semen exceptional quality and quantity per repro vet. Scant light brown, milky spotting two weeks to the day after she was bred. Anyone want to venture a guess as to if she is pregnant and was this breeding planned correctly? Dying to know as this will be my girl's "Bon Voyage breeding" to a sensational Can BIS CH male. It has been three weeks yesterday since being bred. Thanks for any insight.

Re: re:Human lab tests for progesterone

do an ultrasound and then you'll know.

It has been scheduled for the 23rd. Just was hoping anyone could see something clearly wrong or right with the breeding tactics used. Thanks!!!!

We have used a local lab in the past when we needed to know numbers that day. Everything worked fine. Sounds like you were right on with timing.

If you want to email me, I would be happy to give you a good vet resource here in Iowa that you can call on for future.

Best wishes on your upcoming litter!

Stacey

I think 6.8 is close enough to be as good as 5.0 If it were my call I would not have bred until Thursday. I have been breeding 3 days after hitting 5.0 and have not had a miss since.

The repro vet thought maybe a day early on the breeding, but says the semen was so excellent and her cervix looked perfect, that we are thinking it was a go. I used Pam Naranjo DVM of Penara labs. Love her!!!!!!!!!!

I would be very interested in hearing how this turns out. Did you do more than one insemination?

No, we did one shot and hoped for the best. Day 13 actually of her cycle. Always was days 9,11 and possibly a third breeding day 13 natural before, and this will be her 4th litter. The second litter only produced one singleton pup, so she was bred the next season and had 11. First litter was 9 healthy babies..Have never missed on a natural, so praying this time we are OK, too. She has a look in her eyes, though. Tired and almost a "dread" look. Ha! Not her usual bright eyes. She will be retired at the age of 5 1/2 after this.

I have a question: I am a nurse and work at a hospital. I do not have a vet nearby that does progesterone testing. However, how do you get the hospital to run a progesterone test? We need physician's orders for every lab test, each patient needs to be in the computer, and we need to enter an order into the computer. How did you do this? I would LOVE to have this option available to me.

Hi Cindy -

I am really not sure as Pam Naranjo, DVM was the one who sent it to the lab for me. You might contact her and ask??

I have used the Hospital Lab in Bangor, ME. twice and have gotten results in a few hours. It is a BIG drive for me or I would use it more often. They do Progesterone test with vet info and fax or call results to me. I could have the sample picked up by their currier at my local Hospital........ but drove it there myself as I wasn't ready to trust the carrier process the two times I did this.
Otherwise, it is next day results w/ Antech or Idexx

I had a lab breeder who happens to be a vet tech draw the blood and I took it several blocks to the hospital. They entered the dog's name and my contact info. Apparently this hospital has done several for other breeders. 65.00 and had the results in less than two hours. I live near the Quad Cities in Eastern Iowa. I love that I have that option open!

Re: Human lab tests for progesterone

I can say from my own bouts with fertility, progesterone, AI etc. etc. that milky discharge is good and brownish spotting is often a result of implantation.

I wish you good luck!!

Thanks so much for the well wishes. It is sooo hard to wait!!!!! Her abdomen doesn't look any larger, but more firm and vulva remains soft. Not erpy or decrease in apetite as she experienced with her first litter. Wished she would, then I would know for sure! ha! From what I have asked and researched the brown milky discharge two weeks after insemination is a good sign. Yeah!!!!!!!!

For all the well wishers I am so happy to report we have confirmed pregnancy via U/S. We saw 6 puppies and all look great with hearts beating. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!5 weeks to go!!!!!!