Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cran cap dose for pup

I have a pup with a slightly inverted vulva. She is going to a local home and I will be helping with her training, so I can make sure she isn't spayed before her first heat.

I would like for them to put her on cran caps as a safeguard to reduce the chance of infections. For my adult dogs I give 500mg. What dose for a pup?

Thanks.

MWK

Re: Cran cap dose for pup

It depends on your product. Cranberry from fruit extract is better than from juice. The product I use is 420mg. per capsule and the concentration is 12:1

I give one daily to prevent UTIs. I also test urine PH at home weekly (to start)(than cut down) and if elevated (normal PH is 5.5-7) I give 1 capsule a.m. meal and 1 p.m. meal and retest PH in a week. You can get PH strips at a pharmacy (best to have a 5-10 PH strip) McAllister Bicknell sells them reasonably 800-468-6226 item #1.09588

some use swimming pool PH strips but they only go to 8.

The old version of the product I used was juice concentrate and were 700mg per capsule. I gave the same amount as above.

I also put a clause in my contract regarding first heat to correct vulva and send a letter for buyer to take to the vet so vet won't push an early spay. Not all vets know a RV when they see one.

I forgot to mention I start RV pups on crancaps at 6 weeks of age.

Thanks Patti.

He is going to MY veterinarian with the pup so there will be no early spay. I also offered to board her through that heat cycle (free) so they don't have to deal with the mess.

MWK

Thats great.