Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valbazen for coccida?

calling all vets and reps out there......
on a high traffic repro list a breeder said her vet gave her Valbazen to treat her pups for coccidia.

I know Valbazen is albenadazole which is similar to fenbendazole (panacur / safe guard) it is used for a broad-spectrum anthelmintic effective in the removal and control of liver flukes, tapeworms, stomach worms (including 4th stage inhibited larvae of Ostertagia ostertagi), intestinal worms, and lungworms

Now when I asked her to provide some information to her claim she listed this link.

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/coccidiosis-in-dogs.html#coccidia-treat

it is a long interesting read and you have to dig for the info, so here it is

Some doses:
Ponazuril - 20mg/kg once daily for 1-3 days in dogs and cats.
Diclazuril - 25mg/kg once daily for a single dose in the cat.
Quinacrine - 10mg/kg once daily for 5 days. This drug is not longer available in many countries, including the USA.

Albendazole at 25mg/kg twice daily for 2 days has been suggested as an off-label treatment for coccidiosis.

Panacur (fenbendazole) at 50mg/kg once daily for 3 days has been suggested as an off-label treatment for coccidiosis.

I just dont see how albendazole could have any affect on coccidia, we all know fenbendazole does nothing for it.
anyone else ever heard of treating it with Valbazen ( albendazole)

also came across these side effects in from a veterinary journal.

Albendazole has many side effects, including blood cell (hematologic) toxicity, leucopenia (abnormally low white blood cell count), lethargy, bone marrow toxicosis, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite, and it may cause pregnant bitches to abort or have damaged puppies. With new drugs that are less toxic and more effective, it is used less often.

that is enough information for me not to use it, why would a vet give it out?

Re: Valbazen for coccida?

valbazen is not a cide there for will have no effect on coccidia. I am surprised to see it in the article as well.

VALBAZEN CAUSES BONE MARROW SUPPRESSION IN DOGS - DO NOT USE!!!!!
READ THE MERCK MANUAL - IT SAYS SO....

THAT IS THE DRUG THAT ALMOST KILLED MY STUD DOG. HE WAS NOT EXPECTED TO LIVE. It cost $7600.00 to save him.

DO NOT USE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what was your dog being treated for?
Did your vet recommend it?

For Giardia and Yes, got the meds from the vet.