General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Originally Posted by STRESSED

Re: Largest Litter Ever - For Me

[Quote:
Originally Posted by STRESSED
Some are asking how I got a litter this size? Well, we did the progesterone testing, she ovulated on her 9th day in heat, we had a chilled shipment sent to arrive 2 days post ovulation, and the collection was poor, so that same day, we hopped in the van and drove 14 hours (one way) to the young healthy stud dog, did one AI on her Ovulation - Plus 3 days, and turned around and drove back home.]

I can't beleive she got pregnant with all that stress, 14 hours driving one way, then back, some people say they don't get pregnant when they get so stress while she is been inseminated, I bet it was because you use fresh semen.

Is that true?, loose the puppies or don't get pregnant for the stress of the trip?, 14 hours one way, AI and 14 hours back?, a lot of movement for the bitch?

Re: Originally Posted by STRESSED

Depends on the bitch. I had one that stressed being AI'd away from home. As soon as I kept her home, no problems. Other bitch of mine, wouldn't matter where she was,or how long of a trip,she's very fertile and does not stress at all.

You've got to be kidding! My dogs are used to being in the car and riding for hours to shows - doesn't stress them out at all - they've just learned to take a nap and play when we get there.

No stress involved at all! Do you not take your dogs anywhere, Kathy???

bd has no manners.

I have one bitch that did not handle road trips well. Yes, I showed her at specialties 10 hours away. That she could do. Great bitch. Twice I took her a distance for breeding & she missed both times. Shipped semen & she had 2 lovely litters.

So the stress does affect the pregnancy even if you know for sure she is ovulating?

breeder
bd has no manners.

Sorry, but the OP has no manners if you're complaining about me. Please blast him/her as well!

As far as your missed breedings - maybe your timing was off???

I don't think properly-socialized dogs have any trouble traveling. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it!

Years ago (late 70s), before progesterone testing, extender and shipping semen, I flew a bitch to Maryland to be bred. Both times, NO pregnancy, after being there a week, both times.

In the meantime, my vet learned about cornification, tested her at about the same time in her cyle, and said she was ready.

I drove her to Maryland, bred her once and came home, the same day, and she had 11 pups.

Yes, stress does prevent pregnancies.

How did we ever get bitches pregnant when we had to ship them? Had a bitch out for a month- training, swimming, running, retrieving. Came home in the best shape of her life and very pregnant to boot. Best pregnancy she's had.