Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Alston Seminar

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering for those of you that have attended a George Alston handling seminar...... what did you think of it? My friend and I have been thinking about going to one and our local kennel club has one coming up soon.I would be very interested in hearing your opinion,likes, dislikes, etc..... TIA

Re: George Alston Seminar

I did a seminar at Potomac and I really enjoyed him. I think he had some real good recommendations about showing your dog.

Save the money, he is sarcastic and at times just silly! Any dog that has a problem he will state that it has bad tonsils or anal glad problems. It is all about him. Just go to a show and observe and take some local handling classes and you will be better off! I took it and it was really a waste of money.
It is more entertainment and making fun of people than it is information.

George made it sound like there is no reason why a owner/breeder can't finish a dog. I liked that, and I believe it. I attended two of his seminars one as an observer and one as a participant. I did get some good tips. But, over all it was about George and his accomplishments. He didn't critique the handler/dog enough. I would have liked it if he said, hey lady do this or that, or you look terrible, or good, whatever, I wanted to know what I was doing wrong.

I agree, Diane, I saw him at the Potomac as well and although he certainly could be sarcastic at times, I did come away with some really good messages, especially those he passed on from his wife, a judge. He commented on Lab's weights, (who doesn't?) but also on how sometimes free baiting makes the dog look dumpy and gives a dippy topline. When showing in all breed shows, we're up against elegantly groomed and breeds which are often shown fairly stretched out, such as setters. When a lab is shown short and with a dippy topline, often with the muzzle facing way up, it's tough in group against such well presented longer breeds. He also said that his wife finds a lot of very dirty labs shown, and he pointed out that so many dogs need their nails cut that it throws their movement off. Not a lot of flattering feedback, but good feedback just the same.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like my friend and I should give this some more thought as to attend his seminar or not. This seminar is scheduled for 2 days at 8 hours each day. Don't know if I could stand it for that long. It is really too bad because good handling classes are so hard to come by in our area. Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciate it.

Well personally I got a lot out of it and would do it again.

An All-Breed kennel club in my area brings him in for a seminar every year - I have ended up going to 3 over the years I think... once very early on with a friend and we signed up for the "observer". SMART move -- as we got to sit and learn from everyone else's mistakes- ha ha! I've since done the Advanced class twice (yep, first time in advanced I got the old lecture "probably NOT ready for the advanced class" from him) - a few years later we did much better.

I would echo what others have said. Take MOST of what he says with a grain of salt. BUT I say that with every seminar. Some of what is said is great, some is not- but also some great info may not work for YOU. Yes, he blames a lot on tonsils and anal glands... and tends to bash vets (until someone in the audience raises their hands when he asks if there are any vets ). Yes you MUST have thick skin-- if you are going to be oversensitive to everything he might say to you (how you run, move your arms, hold your leash, etc) -then maybe go as an observer!

Attending definitely made me more comfortable with ring procedure and also being comfortable that I could "hard stack" my dogs.

The hardest part was having to listen to all the "groupies"... the folks that just want to hear themselves talk and think they'll impress him with questions... but then ask really stupid questions. (Like- 'how do I get my dog to stand still for the exsam' -DUH- TRAIN IT).

There are no short cuts to training, but the seminar did help me figure out how to present my dog in the best way. Worth it, but be prepared for lots of extraneous stories, etc.

I've been to two. Do not think he is going to give the equivalent of a private lesson, telling you what you are doing wrong & how to correct it. As a coach, I know that there is no point in telling someone how to do something until they are ready. You can talk all day long and stuff goes right over peoples heads. I believe that is why Alston will ignore overly general questions. He will help when questions are specific. You can learn a lot if you are ready.

Thanks "breeder" for your opinion. Believe me I am "ready" to learn, I would think that would be the point of attending the seminar in the first place. My friend and I are not looking for a private lesson, just wanting to see what his ideas are, etc... With the advice and opinions I have been given so far we plan on going and keeping an open mind. I guess I will have to listen to what he has to say and form my own opinion. Thanks again everyone and have a nice day.

I also have been to 2 of his weekend seminars and heard him speak at Potomac as well. I would go again. I went as an observer the first time and as a beginner the second time. I did learn alot. It may not have given me as much specific instruction on handling my dog,as I would have liked. But he gave me much to consider regarding presentation. The first time I did go as an observer as I had heard how tough he was and that people left crying. I do not think he was even close to being that bad. He is tough, but this can be a tough game especially when you show at the level that he did.
Julia

My favorite Alston tip ~

I've been twice, (the first time as an observer) and benefited each time!

The best thing I learned was to never use a Courtesy Turn ~ On the Go-Around, you take your first
"getting up to speed" steps, by cutting in front of the judge at an angle....so when the judge sees your dog moving away, it is already lined up and moving at a trot. The walk is an ugly lumbering gait, so when you are taking those first walking steps, the judge is looking down on the dog's back, as you are passing under his nose.
He gives a lot of helpful tips like this! I didn't think he was tough at all ~ you are there to learn, so you need to go with that attitude. I won the Rosette he gave, for "Most Improved Handler" :o)