Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coats/No Coats?

Before I go and change the food I am using, I was wondering if you are finding coats coming back yet (in the Northeast Atlantic area) ?

I am on the verge of changing foods (one that I have been on for over 6 years, but the formula changed about 6 months ago). The protein and fat %'s still the same, but took out all the corn and replaced with brown rice and barley. I have been trying to talk to the mfg. but have not had the conversation with them yet.

I don't seem to be getting nice oily coat, and even the calorie content is supposed to be the same, I seem to be feedidng more trying to add a little weight.

Re: Coats/No Coats?

I have a few finally coming back into a nice coat, but then I have two who are still shedding. I feed Pro Plan.

Lab Breeder
Before I go and change the food I am using, I was wondering if you are finding coats coming back yet (in the Northeast Atlantic area) ?

I am on the verge of changing foods (one that I have been on for over 6 years, but the formula changed about 6 months ago). The protein and fat %'s still the same, but took out all the corn and replaced with brown rice and barley. I have been trying to talk to the mfg. but have not had the conversation with them yet.

Any reason you are being secretive about the food you are feeding? Post the name, and people will respond with their experiences.

I don't seem to be getting nice oily coat, and even the calorie content is supposed to be the same, I seem to be feedidng more trying to add a little weight.

Coats have come back and are beautiful.

I personally think that the CRAZY New England weather has alot to do with the way the coats on many dogs are coming and going ( for lack of a better term ) My youngest (11 months old) is just now coming back into coat. My five year old boy had a gorgeous, thick, lush coat until this past week and now he's blowing it in clumps. My 12 year old girl has always had a great coat with the exception of the spring moulting. I feed a good quality food and also give Nupro as a suppliment, so I'm pretty sure that it's the weather affecting the coats of my dogs and not a nutritional deficit. I know this to be true of many dogs in my area at this time. I work as a Vet Tech and see many, many Labradors that are shedding like crazy...... Of course there are lots of shows coming up, so as luck would have it coats will drop like flies!

One of my boys is just now almost back in a full coat and another (the special of course) is in a horrid coat. I have just changed supplements in hopes he will be in good coat by the Garden.
I feed Pro Plan Selects.

I didn't want the comments to be only about food, that's why I didn't mention the food. I feed Back to Basics and if I do decide to switch - I have no idea what I would switch to.