Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canidae Grain Free All Life Stages

I am wanting to switch from my current food, to Canidae's Grain Free All Life Stages, I really like the ingredients, even better than the regular formula Canidae ALS. I would like to feed this food to everyone here, including weaning puppies on to it. Has anyone done this? Did you like it for puppies? Any problems? The calcium/phosphorus ratio looks good, and it is just slightly higher in protein than most puppy foods at 34% and has 18% fat. Any thoughts? TIA

Re: Canidae Grain Free All Life Stages

I feed regular Canidae but have been looking into this grain free food also. Personally I wouldn't use it on pups - the protein is just a bit higher than I would use for young pups but the fat is definately too high. The nutrionists I've spoken to are more comfortable with a high 20's protein and low teens fat ratio.

What is the actually AAFCO statement on the bag? "All Life Stages" can simply mean that dog will survive on it. Nothing about that statement means the food is superior for a particular life stage- just that it is acceptable for maintaining life.

Does anyone know if this new grain free formula is available in Canada? If so, is it priced a lot higher than the regular ALS formula?

Yes it is in Canada and yes it is higher priced but not horribly so. I have found it worth it. Good Luck. I really am happy with the food for my dogs.
Almost forgotto mention, yes I have weaned and raised puppies onto this and they are doing very well. My last litter is just about 6 months old and wow. I am pleased.