Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color testing

I don't have the time to waste, so I am looking for opinions on who to use to do a color coat test? No need to worry about the chocolate gene. We will be BB or By!

Re: Color testing

VetGen, DDC

I use DDC and get my results via e-mail within 2 days of them getting my samples. A hard copy comes in the mail in 7-10 days.

If you want results in 2-3 YEARS!, use Vetgen.

I'm guessing the 2nd poster probably meant Ingen the lab in the bahamas.
I too have used DDC in Ohio and I UPS'd them so I can track them. They got them on Tuesday and by Thursday I had my results. Those were color and EIC. Paper results about a week after.

DDC have an offer going at the moment. You can do EIC or CNM or any other of their tests and have the color testing done for $20 per color.I think that is the offer. Check it out with them just to make sure I have it right. It is not advertised on their site and it is for Labradors only.

If you want results in any timely manner, do not use Ingen.

JOE
If you want results in 2-3 YEARS!, use Vetgen.

Sorry, Ingen.

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/

DDC Vetrinary

They are FAST. I got my results in 5 days when I selected results via e-mail.

I also got results via email within 2 days after they recieved my submission - just last week. I got the official paper results in the mailbox today. Very fast!

I also say DDC is great and accurate!

I've used them all and I now recommend DDC Veterinary
http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine-dna-coat-color.html

Ok now I'm curious?
Which is the right test to order?

E Locus (DNA marker tested – R306ter)
Most often used to determine the relationship of the Black (dominant) to Yellow (recessive). The ee genotype results in a yellow phenotype. (“Yellow” can represent a variety of lighter colors including apricots, reds, creams, and whites)

Em Locus (DNA marker tested – M264V)
This allele allows the agouti protein to bind some of the time and cause fawn/red pigment to be made on the body and the melanocyte stimulating hormone to bind on the face instead. Dogs that are black, brown or blue do not show their mask against their similar body color. The mask is inherited as a dominant trait.

Possible Genotypes:

•EmEm – the dog is masked and has 2 copies of the dominant allele
•EmEx – the dog is masked & has 1 dominant allele & 1 recessive allele
•ExEx – the dog does not have a mask & has 2 recessive alleles
B Locus (DNA markers tested – S41C, P345Pel, Q331X)
Associated with the presence of chocolate (also commonly referred to as liver or brown). The bb genotype usually results in a chocolate coat phenotype and liver noses among yellow dogs.

For example, with Labrador Retrievers there are 3 accepted coat color phenotypes (what you can see): Black, Yellow, and Chocolate. However, there are 9 possible reported genotypes (what you cannot see) for the E and B loci and therefore 81 possible breeding combinations.

•Black Coat: 4 possible genotypes- EEBB (black with no hidden colors), EeBB (black with hidden yellow), EEBb (black with hidden chocolate), EeBb (black with hidden yellow and chocolate)
•Yellow Coat: 3 possible genotypes- eeBB (yellow with hidden black), eeBb (yellow with hidden black and chocolate), eebb (yellow with hidden chocolate- dogs will exhibit liver noses)
•Chocolate Coat: 2 possible genotypes- EEbb (chocolate with no hidden colors), Eebb (chocolate with hidden yellow)
Click here to view our Coat Color Predictor Chart. (Requires the free Adobe Reader to view.)

D Locus (DNA marker tested – C.22G>A)
Associated with the dilution or lightening effect of the solid colors Black and Brown, with D being the dominant allele, the dd genotype results in the diluted effect.

KB Locus (DNA marker – G23del)
The KB is responsible for allowing solid colors to be expressed in the dominant form of the allele (KB). In it’s homozygous recessive form (ky) allows the agouti (a-locus) colors to be expressed.

Possible Genotypes:

KBKB – 2 copies of the dominant allele

KBky – 1 copy of the dominant allele and 1 copy of the wild type

kyky – 2 copies of the wild type

ay Locus (DNA marker tested – A82S)
This agouti allele is responsible for fawn in breeds like the Pug or sable in breeds like the Collie.

Possible Genotypes:

•ayay - 2 copies of the fawn/sable allele
•ayax - 1 fawn/sable allele and 1 non- fawn/sable allele
•axax - 2 non-fawn/sable alleles
a Locus (DNA marker – R96C)
This agouti allele is responsible for recessive black. In the homozygous form aa, it will cause a recessive form of black coat in breeds like the German Shepherd Dog.

Possible Genotypes:

aa – 2 copies of the recessive black allele

aax – 1 copy of recessive black allele and 1 copy of the non-recessive black allele

axax – 2 copies of the non-recessive black allele

I normally just have the E and B done. These are used to detect carriers of yellow and/or chocolate genes. The others really don't apply.

No, I meant VetGen. I have used both VetGen and DDC, DDC is a bit less $$ and quicker.

My 2 Cents
I'm guessing the 2nd poster probably meant Ingen the lab in the bahamas.
I too have used DDC in Ohio and I UPS'd them so I can track them. They got them on Tuesday and by Thursday I had my results. Those were color and EIC. Paper results about a week after.