Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Varathane toxic to my pregnant bitch?

My husband is refinishing the hard wood flooring in a back bedroom using a water soluble Varathane. She is about 6 weeks pregnant, the hallway has been closed off by plastic for the sanding, and then a baby gate, and the window open for ventilation for the Varathane application back there. It just occurred to me how stupid this may have been to do, are the fumes going to compromise my puppies?? Am I over concerned, or did I just harm my litter? Feeling sick about it now.

Re: Varathane toxic to my pregnant bitch?

We live in a log cabin and this summer had the cabin exterior cleaned, re-stained and sealed with a varnish type finish. Two bitches were pregnant and at 40 days, something changed about them. I wrote it in my journal that the girls looked very sad and spent the day in the air conditioning. I commented to a friend that I beleive my girls were no longer pregnant about the 50th day . I had an Xray done at 55 days and no puppies. Both girls had reabsorbed . One girl passed a partially formed puppy on her due date, the other girl nothing. Had hooded cultures done looking for possible bacteria...none, tested for thyroid...fine., checked progesterone levels at that point and they were almost nonexistant. Very sad time for all of us. The only thing different was the air was full of chemicals. The house is on the top of a meadow, the kennels on the meadow floor about 55 feet away, but you could smell the stain and cover 1/4 mile away. Both girls had had 1 previous litter each with no problems. I hope all goes well for you. But the next time I have the house stained, I will not be breeding that summer or fall. Good Luck to you and your girl.