Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy strangles

I have 3 in my litter that have swollen heads and one that is limping. Otherwise they act and look normal.

If this is puppy strangles do I need to revaccinate when they recover?

Re: puppy strangles

They need to be diagnosed by a vet. If it is strangles you need steroids and antibiotic ASAP. The sooner the better and the less scarring you get from pustules.

From what I know limping is not associated with strangles.

I don't believe they will vaccinate until the pup is fully recovered. Pup needs to rebuild immunity prior to vaccinations.

Please get them to the vet to be sure what you are dealing with.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Prayers they will be okay

Do they have a rash?

How old are they? When did they get their shots? I would call the vet and have them seen before the long weekend. It may be a reaction to the shots. I've never had strangles, so can't comment on how long it takes to take hold.

Re: puppy strangles - UPDATE

My vet looked at all my pups :-) they have swollen heads because they are losing teeth and a few are broken from play and they have a small abcess not great news but better than strangles!!!

I'm so relieved

Thanks for input

What??? How old are these puppies? I've never had puppies play so hard they break teeth! And puppies don't typically lose their teeth until 4-5 month of age! What about the lame puppy???

I can't imagine that causing their heads to swell!
I think I would find a new Vet. I hope they recover.

breeder
What??? How old are these puppies? I've never had puppies play so hard they break teeth! And puppies don't typically lose their teeth until 4-5 month of age! What about the lame puppy???

I agree. Are you sure? I've never heard of puppies breaking teeth and causing swelling of the head like this. Pups loose their teeth closer to 16 weeks of age. Are their ears swollen with blisters inside? do the pups have blisters around the muzzle? when you feel the neck can you feel swollen lymph nodes? That would be puppy strangles. You better get another opinion. Based on what you wrote, what your vet said makes no sense unless something is really wrong and they are fighting aggressively.

breeder
My vet looked at all my pups :-) they have swollen heads because they are losing teeth and a few are broken from play and they have a small abcess not great news but better than strangles!!!

I'm so relieved

Thanks for input

Your vet is wrong. Get them to another vet. Don't wait. You have been given an incorrect diagnosis. I know that and I have not even seen the pups. To another vet, now.

007breeder
breeder

I agree. Are you sure? I've never heard of puppies breaking teeth and causing swelling of the head like this. Pups loose their teeth closer to 16 weeks of age. Are their ears swollen with blisters inside? do the pups have blisters around the muzzle? when you feel the neck can you feel swollen lymph nodes? That would be puppy strangles. You better get another opinion. Based on what you wrote, what your vet said makes no sense unless something is really wrong and they are fighting aggressively.

OP, something else is wrong but can I ask how old your puppies are?

Please go to another vet immediately, swollen heads and broken teeth are not normal for a litter of any age.

I had several episodes of swollen heads. One came just minutes after an immunization shot. The other three were, I think, either bitten by a spider or from a salamander. It sounds like a reaction from either a shot or from some bite. ellie

Re: puppy strangles - NEW UPDATE

I took my kids to another Vet, a breeder Vet and he said they do not have strangles, no pustules - rash - swollen glands - nothing. No fever or diarrhea.

Then he showed me how the baby teeth are having a hard time coming out in the front and they have turned dark and it's causing inflammation.

RX: feed a soft diet and make sure the areas where there is more inflammation don’t get infected.

He didn’t want to put them on antibiotics either.

DX: impacted baby teeth that will come out on their own.

PS I should have said they have swollen snouts not heads.

You never said how old these puppies are??? I still have never seen puppies with swollen muzzles (the correct term) - why would you have multiple puppies with the same issue?

I think I figured out the problem! You have piglets (snouts) not pups!!! I would try a third Vet, that just does not seem right. I hope they heal quickly what ever is going on.

What?
I think I figured out the problem! You have piglets (snouts) not pups!!! I would try a third Vet, that just does not seem right. I hope they heal quickly what ever is going on.

2 of us asked the age of the litter trying to be helpful. I think something is being pulled and it's not teeth. We tried.

Cheers.

Re: puppy strangles - NEW NEW UPDATE

The pups are 20 weeks old, Vet says they lose teeth between 4-6 months.

Re: puppy strangles - NEW NEW UPDATE

Are you sure they are swollen or just have alot of lip anyway or muzzle. Some have alot thicker muzzle than others. I have never seen or heard of such a thing ever. Must be something in your line with the teeth issue that more than one is like that. It might look a little blue where a new tooth is coming in for a day but should pop right out. Soften the food. Best of luck and let us know.