Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm Thankful for Microchips!

We are thankful at TarKom today, for the successful reunion of one of our families. It really points out the benefits of microchipping, and the necessity of keeping your microchip information current. If your dogs aren't chipped, PLEASE take this life saving step. Anyway . . .

I'm am currently in a hotel in Pennsylvania. We came up with family to Amish country and are staying in a beautiful suite and having a great time. Yesterday I called home to check my voicemail and had a call from an Animal Control Officer in Kentucky. One of my boys was picked up running up and down along a highway, along with his yellow Lab buddy. They scanned them, and Eli's chip information came up with my name on it.

I immediately began trying to contact his owners. I sent email messages out to every address I had for them, and to their adult daughter whose address I also had. She called me a couple of hours later, and then contacted her Mom on the cell phone. I received a call from Mom a few minutes later, from her car on the way to pick up her boys. She was absolutely hoarse . . . this is from the message she sent me last night . . .

It was truly a scary time for all of us and we are sooooo grateful the boys are home again. This morning, I let them out to go potty, but later thought it odd they were not asking to come back in for breakfast. I then became heartsick when discovering our gate had come apart after high winds/storm came through and both dogs were gone. My husband and I each took a child and spent the morning calling, driving and handing out our phone numbers to anyone we saw. We drove and drove, and called and called. After coming in for a break at about 11:45, I decided to call the animal control in case they would receive a call. I never dreamed they would have them so soon after their escape, but they did!!! On my way to the humane society, my oldest daughter called me to tell me she had received an e-mail from you regarding the dogs. To make a long story short, we speedily drove over and were a family reunited. The gate is already fixed. I have no voice left after today, but will call you soon.

Fortunately, she thought to call Animal Control. But, when I talked to Animal Control, I was greatly relieved to learn that because the dog she got from me was chipped and they had gotten in touch with an owner, both dogs would be safe. (Since they were obviously together.) Because I am on the microchip info as a contact, the dogs would have been released to me if I showed up to get them. And special thanks go out to an internet friend, Abbe, whom I have never met in person and who has little dogs, but who also quickly responded to a message I sent her and was ready to go and pull the dogs for me if I hadn't gotten in touch with owners so they didn't have to be at the facility until next week, as they were closing for Thanksgiving.

Microchips save lives and reunite lost dogs with loving families. I am thankful for them.

Re: I'm Thankful for Microchips!

Glad all worked out well for you, Karlene. It's nice to hear a story with a happy ending, especially on Thanksgiving!

Barb

Amen! Specially on Thanksgiving!

These dogs were truely blessed. Thank you for reminding us the importance of Chipping your dogs. My pups do not leave my house without a chip for this very reason. It is such a small price to pay, for this kind of peace of mind.