Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which Dyson is better?

Does anyone have experience with either the D23 Canister All Floors or D25 Animal Ball Upright vacuums?

Trying to decide which is more practical! The company says both are good options with the upright having attachments for under the couches, furniture, etc. and the Canister type is able to fit under such.

However, I wonder if anyone has experience using either who would make a comment. We have all hardwood/laminate with a few rugs downstairs and would like to be able to vacuum under furniture without great hassle. Of course, lots of fur with a house full of dogs!

Thanks!!!

Re: Which Dyson is better?

We have the animal and like it. I think when I buy a new one I am going to get the one with the ball. It seems more manuverable to me. Overall I love the animal vacuum though. Really picks up the hair. If you have hardwoods and leather couches (like us) the animal may be overkill as you will not need the extra tools.

Toni

Thanks Toni! How easy is it to use for vacuuming under the couch, between furniture, etc.?

No matter what newer models are out, always get the ball model. It's much easier to handle.

Bought the animal ball 25 purple best investment I have ever made. It is miraculous handling fur!

Under the couch is tough unless you use the hose. I just move my couch so I can get all of the hair. Again the hardwoods make that easier so then I do not have to use the hose. The hose attachment is good for getting to hard to reach areas but I think the ball might get you to some areas I cannot get with the animal.

Toni

We're on our 2nd Animal Dyson and its my favorite vaccum ever!
It is AMAZING what it picks up.
Its lightweight and not heavy to push, like other vaccums can be. Love the canister and no bags to deal with. I highly recommend this vaccum!

We have been using the Dyson Animal for years- love it. After a number of years of good use, it was time to replace the vaccum. We considered the "ball" model, but opted to go with the Animal again. I will say that this newer model really maneuvers around things much more smoothly and we are real pleased....for what its worth.

Love our Animal. Will buy another one when this one dies.

Dysons are wonderful.... just be careful, I work in the flooring industry and many carpet manufacturers have voided the warranty on carpet if you are using a Dyson and have a problem. (they have so much suction that if you have a carpet...for expample like a Berber which is a looped carpet, the Dyson will unravel it.) We had a customer who had this happen, the mfg sent someone out, asked what type of a vacumn cleaner they were using... warranty voided.

Just wanted to let you all know of what I have experienced. Most important thing with this vacumn is to never let it sit on the floor while it is on...always keep it in motion.

Any model with the ball. Don't get a Dyson without it, it makes your life easier. They're all great. The animal model is a different color with an extra attachment. Price the other models with that attachment, it might come out much cheaper if you want that attachment. Without it, it's allot cheaper.

Happy Dyson shopping!

Hi all,
This is really interesting. My vacuum repair dude HATES Dyson. Says they are awful and not to buy one. Now I DO admit he is a bit of an odd fellow. I am wondering what his problem is with them? I am glad so many of you like Dyson and seem very happy with them. Opens my choices for me.
Thanks,
A

Anon
Dysons are wonderful.... just be careful, I work in the flooring industry and many carpet manufacturers have voided the warranty on carpet if you are using a Dyson and have a problem. (they have so much suction that if you have a carpet...for expample like a Berber which is a looped carpet, the Dyson will unravel it.) We had a customer who had this happen, the mfg sent someone out, asked what type of a vacumn cleaner they were using... warranty voided.

Just wanted to let you all know of what I have experienced. Most important thing with this vacumn is to never let it sit on the floor while it is on...always keep it in motion.

My FIL has owned a large carpet & flooring store for 39 years & I just called him. He has never had a Dyson vaccum void a warranty. He has had 1 other brand do so 20 years ago but never a Dyson, not yet anyway. He recommends it to clients purchasing carpet, wood, natural stone and other various floors. He had a special recently where we gifted a Dyson on a $5000 or higher purchase which was my suggestion. It sure worked to drum up more business and each client loved their Dyson as much as their flooring or carpet. They were bought discounted in a larger quantity of 100, 68 have left the store with the purchases. I think it was the D25 with the ball.

We are looking into carrying the Dyson in the family carpet and flooring store by year end.

I've learned much from my FIL over the years and we will own the store at year end. He is retiring and signing over the other 51% to his only son & DIL, so whatever we don't know, we will by Jan 1, 2011.

I can't believe the Dyson is the only vacuum cleaner that could void a warranty. The warranty would have to state it when you make the purchase of the carpeting.

Berber carpeting comes in continuous run and non-continuous runs. With any vaccum, never never never purchase a continuous run Berber. I've seen $99 vaccums rip the hell out of a continuous run Berber. Any vaccum model could not just a Dyson.

Check the warranty of your carpet but again, I doubt a Dyson would be the only model with a beater bar that would void a warranty. You can call or write to the manufacturer of your carpet if you're concerned. Also, you can check with the retailer you bought from. I wouldn't let this post scare you into not buying a Dyson. If it does, look into the carpet warranty, if it is still under warranty. The name Dyson or any other vaccum must be in writing to void the warranty. If it's not in writing, they can't void the warranty for the type of vaccum you use.

Also, it's not just the suction with the Dyson that is important, it's the power of the beater bar and all components. I don't at all agree with poster *anon*'s statements that I quoted but appreciate their attempt to help others just as I am trying to.

Unique Carpets LTD. you will void the warranty. It says so right on the flier that comes in the roll of carpet it also states it on there website. (they sell a wool carpet) Karastan/Mohawk has also stated this. Shaw is another company as well, but they have been working with clients.... I just spoke with the Shaw Rep, and he stated that it is not written in the warranty but if they test the carpet and it is determined that it was damaged by the vacumn the warranty is void.

Mohawk suggested a beater bar for the carpet. They say the Dyson' brushes are to stiff. Mohawk is voiding currently and they are really fighting the claims. (per the flooring company that I work with and for). The most important thing is to raise your beater bars.

Frieze, Shag and Berber are the carpets that seem to be having the most issues as the carpet is being damaged by these and other vacumns.

The warranty does not have to specifically state what you can and can't use... the same with a wood floor, it doesn't state in the warranty that you can't use a mop to clean it but you will ruin the floor if you do. Same with the Shark Steamers, they will damage your floor. Not everything is written clearly in black and white what is covered and what is not. If a warranty stated everything that was not covered, who would buy the product?

Dyson's are wonderful and if I could afford one I would buy it in a hearbeat, but I only have very limited areas of carpet in my house. I know the risk and would be willing to take it, I would also be very careful when I used it.

Alexandra Sternhagen
Hi all,
This is really interesting. My vacuum repair dude HATES Dyson. Says they are awful and not to buy one. Now I DO admit he is a bit of an odd fellow. I am wondering what his problem is with them? I am glad so many of you like Dyson and seem very happy with them. Opens my choices for me.
Thanks,
A

I imagine he doesn't or might not get that many in to work on or pay a service call to. Less breakage or happy customers equals less income for him. It reminds me of the old Maytag commercials where the repairman sits there waiting for a call for a broken Maytag.

As you said, he's an odd fellow so that could be part of it also lol.

toni
Under the couch is tough unless you use the hose. I just move my couch so I can get all of the hair. Again the hardwoods make that easier so then I do not have to use the hose. The hose attachment is good for getting to hard to reach areas but I think the ball might get you to some areas I cannot get with the animal.

Toni

Wondering if I could give you a call on vacuuming days. :-)

I have an animal now for 8 years. I love it!!!
it is so easy to take apart and clean, just as easy to put back together.
I use it on carpet, tile and laminate floors.

I do have one question for you dyson lovers.
how can I clean the tubing section?? I cant seem to figure out how to detach it and it is in terrible need of a soaking.