Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DDC for EIC

I am not likely to ever send the results into OFA so that isn't a factor in my decision.

Given that, have those that have used DDC for their EIC testing been satisfied with the quality and timeliness of service?

Re: DDC for EIC

I just sent in 11 samples and all of the results were emailed and mailed to me within a week. I have been very happy with their service. I wish a few of the test results were different but that isn't their fault.

Had my results in 1 week.

I was very impressed with DDC when I used them - I used them for both Optigen and EIC and they had the results to me within 5 days (I collected on a Monday, mailed it on Monday, had an email with test results on Friday of the same week.)

Some of my puppy buyers have also used them and have had the same results, quick turnaround.

the results were as expected but there is no way to know if they are accurate - same is true with Optigen or OFA or whereever, all you can say is there are no results that look weird!

Bonnie

You mentioned that you did Optigen with them, do they do PRA for eyes also?

Optigen is just my short cut way to say testing for PRA - Optigen is a particular "company" test for PRA.

So if you test for PRA you get normal, carrier or affected (the old Optigen A,B and C)

If you care about putting results up on OFA, then you have to use Optigen and Minnesota to do the tests for PRA and EIC. If you want the results quicker and cheaper, then I highly recommend DDC!

Bonnie (who has no horse in the race, just likes getting results quick!)

The DDC is not doing the PRA/prcd test, the only place that
you can get the PRA test done is threw OPTIGEN or INGEN. I would
go with Optigen if you want results back! I have been waiting
for close to 5 months for mine from INGEN.

I have used DDC for several EIC tests. They are lightning fast at getting your results to you usually within a week AND they give you a discount if you do 5 or more at a time.

my question to Bonnie is still the same, did you do a DNA PRA test with DDC. i can't seem to find that test available at their website. since it is still very expensive at Optigen, takes way too long at InGen, i am hoping that DDC does them for less and gets them out quicker. so does DDC for a DBA PRA test???
TIA

I was very happy with DDC. I got my results before the week was up ! Very impressive and I will be sending in a few more to them !

My vet questioned accuracy of DDC given their instructions for use on puppies,she said mother's milk CAN affect results. So I just cleaned out each little mouth, lips, and cheeks with a cotton ball and distilled water and waited an hour. DDC turn around time is awesome and when doing a full litter, the cheaper price (than U of Min.) sure helps.

DDC does not offer PRA or VWD testing because both tests are patented in the USA. They do offer CNM as well as EIC and trait tests like coat color or long coat for Labs. The website lists all the tests available for various breeds. Their service is great.
http://www.vetdnacenter.com

DDC for EIC

I asked DDC about the mother's milk question and they told me that it was a fallacy that mother’s milk would affect the DNA test results on a puppy.

I checked and I misspoke. I did the OPtigen test at the Potomac clinic last year and got my EIC test results on the day I did the Optigen and I melded them together in my mind.

I only did EIC with DDC, PRA and RD with Optigen.

Sorry about that.

Bonnie

thank you Bonnie

mailed swabs on Monday. Got an email on Friday. Twice. During the holidays.

DDC
I asked DDC about the mother's milk question and they told me that it was a fallacy that mother’s milk would affect the DNA test results on a puppy.

I spoke with Katie Minor at the U of Minnesota and she told me I would need to separate the mother from the puppies for several hours prior to doing the swabs.

Regardless of which company I decide to use I think I'll go with that suggestion as I don't want any doubt that there wasn't any cross-contamination.

Re: Mothers Milk?

DDC also has done parentage testing for me on 5 day old pups and I asked the same question about mother's milk. They told me that they have been doing human DNA since 1992 and animal DNA since 2003 and the idea that mothers milk will affect the result is a myth. They have done profiles on many thousands of suckling pups and not a single case of contamination from mother's milk. Seems like these folks do a better job of DNA than most everyone else so I trust they would not steer me wrong.

Milk, no. Cells from the mother's nipples, I wouldn't be surprised.