Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murphy's Oil Soap?

On another breed list they were talking about bathing there dog's in Murphy's oil soap (orginial) to keep Tick's and Flea's off there dog's that run in the field. One person said she has been using it for about ten year's,with no ill affect.
Has anyone used this and did it help? or hurt.

Ingredient's List-- Water,Soduim Tallate,Cymbopogonnardus(citronella)oil
Lauramidopropylamine oxide,and Tetrasociaum EDTA

TIA
Kay
Virginia, USA

Re: Murphy's Oil Soap?

Why don't you look up the individual ingredients on Wikapedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

That would tell you a lot about the effects they might have.

I have used it for years as well. It works great, doesn't strip the oils out of the coat. You have to be sure to rinse it out very well. Another plus is when the dogs go out in the rain they come back smelling like Murphy's and not wet dog.

Do you dilute it with water and mix in a bottle to use as shampoo (and approx. what ratio?), or sraight onto the dog? I'm curious; sounds kinda neat to try as a shampoo!

Try LOC by Amway. Concentrate you dilute and biodegradable.

Been bathing dogs with it for 40 years with great results.

we also used it in the swimming pool for years to wash our own hair or to rinse out of dogs coat.

Been using it for 20 years. Mix one quart with 1/2 cup aloe vera gel and 1/2 cup witch hazel, dilute to your liking. Bugs hate the stuff. Dogs smell great and multiple baths do not ruin their coats at all.

B Hall
I have used it for years as well. It works great, doesn't strip the oils out of the coat. You have to be sure to rinse it out very well. Another plus is when the dogs go out in the rain they come back smelling like Murphy's and not wet dog.

You use it like a shampoo. A little goes a long way.

Re: Murphy's Oil Soap? Hey Patty/Snowco

I think you're a big fat liar (okay a skinny ripped liar) I saw a picture of you and you aren't even 40 yet, are you?
(wink, wink)
Valerie - Bibsmom

Re: Murphy's Oil Soap? Hey Patty/Snowco

Valerie Jones - Bibsmom
I think you're a big fat liar (okay a skinny ripped liar) I saw a picture of you and you aren't even 40 yet, are you?
(wink, wink)
Valerie - Bibsmom

(wink, wink right back at ya)(LOL)

Wish I wasn't 40 yet :-). I'm 47.

This works to get rid of fleas? How about a pregnant mom?

I too have used it for 30+ years! Originally I used it on my terriers to keep their coats crisp when washed.
I don't dilute it, only using a small amount and a liberal amount of water.