Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A FUN subject for all

What is the earliest you have ever had a ring call?
What was the latest you have ever had a ring call?
What was the longest delay in judging (IE - outdoors for rain, snow, wind etc.)? The latest time your remember that BIS was concluded? Has anyone ever been at a show that was canceled in the middle of it for some weird reason - flash flood warning, tornado warning ? What happens to that event?

I know some of the big shows Westminster, AKC Championships etc. have late group start times. What time do they usually start?

Out here in Idaho/Utah - I think the latest BIS was a round 6:15 p.m. one time.

Anyone care to share some stories. I was just curious and bored.

TIA
Valerie Jones - Bibsmom

Re: A FUN subject for all

One year (maybe '97) the last few classes at Miami Valley LRC Specialty were postponed until the next day because of tornado warnings.

in NJ, Newton KC I think it was, defunct May show, 1997, when winds from nearby tornadoes lifted ring tents, with at least one pole impaling a van. An acquaintance's Giant Schnauzer got loose in the panic, but was recovered next day okay, and didn't even get pregnant although running loose in season. Made it look tame when the parks people cancelled the fall NYC/Queens/Bronx shows at world fair site years later because of rain and wet slippery grass after a handler (GSD handler?) fell and injured leg. They cancelled it AFTER the show started, after the sun came out and rain stopped. It had dried enough for Komondors and Cresteds to be walking around without gear on to keep them clean and dry.

One that stands out in my memory is the storm at Mid-Jersey. I forget the year but it was at the infamous Townhouse Motel (shudder!) and it rained so hard the rings got flooded. Wind was blowing so hard that, for a while, some of us had to hold down swinging tent poles that had come loose so they didn't hit anyone in the ring. The wind finally got so bad that we had to move the last classes (sweeps?) into the upstairs hallway of the motel. As those classes were running, the big tent blew down! As we left the grounds there was a wild river that we had to plow through to get out of the driveway. As we went to get on the Garden State Parkway (which was already a parking lot) the state police were closing it and re-routing us up the NJ Turnpike. I have an irrational fear of the George Washington Bridge (something about being able to see the river through the pot holes in the deck), and I was lucky enough to caravan with two other exhibitors from Connecticut that got me to route 95 so I could find my way home. Power was out at the Darien rest stop and surrounding areas. Unforgetable!

Ah, come on, Beth, gaiting in hallways, when you have them, beats the even more creative event: veterans gaiting on tables. Anyone want to chime in on that one?

Glad I wasn't at any of these!
Valerie - Bibsmom

I drove 1.5 hours in a downpour to a show this past summer, only to have the show cancelled because of violent weather. As soon as I drove back to the freeway it cleared up. The show was not held at all-ever. They delayed the start for several hours and then cancelled it just as the rain was ending. It was in a public park, and it is possible that the park people made then do so because of the damage to the grounds.

The longest delay I can remember was at least two hours because a judge was removed by the show committee and they had to find another judge. Then a violent storm blew up, and they moved conformation indoors. I was showing in both Rally and conformation, and the initial delay would have actually worked in my favor if there hadn't been a delay in the Rally ring as well, which of course was in a separate building across a large pond from the outdoor ring. I almost missed the conformation showing because I was keeping an eye on the outdoor ring to see if classes would start again after the storm and didn't realize it had been moved indoors.

Earliest start time- 8:00. Latest, maybe 2:30?

Perhaps not weather-related, but...

Mixed emotions....8:00 a.m. ring time...small entry...take BOB! :-) ...finished by 8:20....Sporting Group is LAST on the schedule...judge who did breed is also doing Group...protocol says "stay"...we don't get in the ring till after 4 p.m

Loooooooong day!

I remember one of my first Lab Specialties at Mid-Jersey and the last classes including BOB was lite up by cars around the ring shining their headlights so everyone could see the dogs. this was back in '93 or so.