Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
on the fence about a 1yr old bitch

How many of you would wait to decide on a bitch until she 2yrs of age?
She's a bit taller then what I hoped for, head a bit smaller then I hoped for. She just came into heat, so i'm hoping now she'll fill in more.
I believe in Europe they give there labs until age two to completly fill out.

Re: on the fence about a 1yr old bitch

Some lines are different. If I had a girl that I really liked at 8 or 9 weeks, and she has the potential to fill out - then I would keep her. If she has developed a major fault, or something that just isn't good enough (ie she isn't showy enough or is cow-hocked, etc) then pass.

If I have nothing else to work with at the time, then I like to watch them grow and develope, so that if it happens again - I will know what to expect.

Is she what you bred for ? Is she consistant with your other bitches ? Do you have a breeding plan for her ?
If not , place her and move on.

Hmmm....this question will likely remind me of the "i told you so" i heard so many times a bit ago. Kept my "pick" bitch ...loved her at 7 & 8 weeks.

For most of her 18 months after - paperbag- never saw any family resemblance. now nearly 3 and I love her to pieces! she's looking (and acting) more and more like her momma every day. Only thing that i don't care for is her bolos...but i don't mind as much now with everything else making up for it.

Patience!

I don't have any faith in the puppy puzzle anymore.
My pups here from my last litter were awful. At 8 weeks every one of them was a pet. Regardless, I kept three to run on. I mean no substance, no coat, just very slight and plain. Still I kept three. Now at almost 6 months old they are three of the best puppies I have ever bred. One for sure is the absolute best puppy I've ever had. Go figure.
Who knows when your girl may blossom, if ever? They will all mature differently.

Just got an e-mail photo of a 2 year old bitch in a pet home. I was astounded at the head! Just lovely, and when they sent a birthday picture at 1 year her head was narrow. I'd wait if I were you.

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S ADVICE! IT'S A TUFF CALL! I PLACED A BITCH TO A PET HOME SEVERAL YEARS AGO THAT I WASN'T SURE OF & THEY SENT A CHRISTMAS PHOTO OF HER RECENTLY...OMG..I KICKED MY SELF ON THAT ONE BECAUSE SHE IS NOW SPAYED & SO IS DAM THAT WAS HER LAST LITTER.

I wait until 18 months on my picks, if they are not looking good at 18 months then I don't think they will get much better. 18 months seems to be a magical age where you can tell either they are looking really nice or they just won't improve.