Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FAT GIRL!

Any suggestions on how to drop a few pounds from a very overweight gal??? The dog type I mean! TIA

Re: FAT GIRL!

Like people; less food, more exercise!

cut back on the food, many people will add green beans to the bowl. This fills them up so they dont realize they are on a diet.

Less food, more excercise, and they love when you give them green beans as a filler with their food, makes them feel fuller without the extra calories.

When less active in the winter, my chow hound girl gets a can of SALT FREE green beans or carrots with about 1/2 cup of food in the AM. She gets a regular portion in the evening.

She has actually lost a couple of pounds this last few months

Carrots make great treats too!

My girl has recently gained a few pounds also. I have cut her kibble amount down and added the green beans along with some exercise. In just a few days, I am already seeing a reduction in bulk.

I just took 17lbs off my senior girl with food change, smaller portion, and no increased exercise due to bad joints. Switched her to Iams Weight Control food and cut her portion size in half. Took 3 months to get the weight off her and she looks great. She's still on weight control formula but I have increased her food amount to 1.5c twice daily.

Thank you all for the help! I wonder if the green beans will do the trick for me as well!! LOL

FAT GIRL!

Green Beans work great, but if using canned, rinse well to get all the Salt off. Pumpkin is also a good filler. Use the canned (just) Pumpkin, not the Pumpkin Pie stuff, it has spices etc.

My trio get sodium free green beans to supplement.
They also like them as snacks, rewards, treats.