Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motorhomes - Class A or Class C, etc.?

I am thinking of buying a used motorhome for short weekend getaways and traveling to dog shows with 2-6 dogs. In my area of the country it is not unusual to have to drive 8-12 hours sometimes for a show. There are what appear to be some real deals on Craigslist - mid-90s, low miles, under $16K. I am wondering what the pros and cons are of Class A vs. Class C for traveling to shows and what other advice you could offer based on your own experience (size, features, etc). TIA!

Re: Motorhomes - Class A or Class C, etc.?

A lot of views, but no one has anything to say? I'd really like to hear some of your experiences if you have done the motorhome thing for shows. TIA!

I have never done the motorhome thing, but a couple of thoughts I have center on the following

1. I would want access from both ends of the motorhome in case of fire and needing to exit in an emergency.

2. Don't forget that if you are travelling with a dog which happens to get an upset tummy, the good thing is that you will know very quickly, the bad thing is you will struggle to escape the stink.

Well, we have only ever had a travel trailer or 5th wheel, which we liked because we could easily park the unit and then drive our truck around anywhere else we cared to go.
I would think it might help to make yourself a list of what you are really looking for, and want to have out on the road, taking your budget into consideration.
You may have already searched these out, bu I found a couple of sites discussing the pros and cons of the types.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/boards/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23594020.cfm

http://philip.greenspun.com/materialism/motorhomes/

Best of luck!

I have been thinking about getting a travel trailer with full living quarters and a slide out (toy hauler) with 10 kennels in the hauling area to take south during the winter. Has anyone done this? If so what was the pros and cons.

The bad thing about the dogs riding in a trailer is if the hitch comes undone or breaks, the dogs may be history.

I use a 5th wheel and I feel better with the dogs riding in the truck with me.