Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winter Nose

My yellow girl has a very pink nose this winter, more than before. I have seen black out used and it looks like they colored it in. Any other suggestions?

Re: Winter Nose

Wait for spring/summer???? Our boy's nose has lost its blackness too this winter.

Kelp helps with pigmentation, but not sure it would help at this point.

My vet has suggested melatonin, I haven't had much success with it.

I found leaving a light on in the area where dog usually is keeps pigment darker. I put lights on inmy mudroom at 7 and off at 9:30 where my yellow girls spends lots of time keeps nose darker. My mudroom's only light comes where there is a porch so it's not that bright naturally. I think it's a light issue so more florescent light or daylight seems to help.

I was told it coincides with the lack of sunlight/vitamin (B?)

My guess would be vitamin D as that is the vitamin we get from the sun. A recent study in humans showed areas with less sun have higher Vitamin D deficiency.

Yuppers - Vitamin D!!! Tks!

CM
Yuppers - Vitamin D!!! Tks!

Be cautious with the amount of Vitamin D, it isn't water soluble like Vitamin C. I would ask your vet how much is the maximum your dog can have safely.

Someone mentioned lighting, I've found that to be helpful with my dogs that get winter noses. Not all do but more do than don't.

I wasn't suggesting anyone should give and personally don't give any extra Vitamin D or otherwise - this is what I had been told causes the "fading" black nose. Tks for the info though!

Careful using Vit D. It is involved in the Calcium absorption and bone health all around.