Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Outdated Websites

Just curious to know why some breeders continue to pay for websites and not udpate for 5-10 years.

It seems like a waste of money to me. Not saying you should update every day, or even every year, but when all the dogs on your site have now passed away and there's no new blood on it, what's the point of your website? Litters from 5 years ago don't help anyone looking for puppies.

Re: Outdated Websites

The way puppy sales are right now, give us your state, trust me you will be bombarded with emails w/puppies available!

many folks are not web savey so at one time they paid someone to create the site.
although they probably continue to pay the domain fee they have not gotten anyone to update for them.

does anyone on here know the secret of transferring my domain name from yahoo to another site?
from what I am reading there is no possible way to transfer it until they drop it from non payment.....(pulling out hair))

That's not true. If you're gonna host your website and domain with a different provider, then the new provider can assist you w/ the transfer. The hosting providers do this all the time (standard practice).

I had to completely change my kennel name because of Yahoo. I couldn't get rid of them, they are the worst.

There is a way. I know a guy who build web sites for people and I had someone else doing mine and they were actually putting information on my site that I did not want on there among other things and not updating what I wanted updated. His name is Will his number is 864-426-3595 I am sure he would help you out or at least tell you what you can and cannot do. He is doing my site now and only charged me $500 to get things going which was reasonable compared with what I was paying

Some of these people may have paid for a 5 year renewal.

No five year renewal here. Yahoo was a nightmare for me. I remember when I told the guy who maintains my site I switched to Yahoo, he yelled, "NO!" I didn't realize what I had done, but it didn't take me long to find out.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/smallbusiness/domains/authcode/authcode-04.html

http://www.downdoggy.com/tips-a-tricks/16-yahoo-transfer.html

Good luck
No five year renewal here. Yahoo was a nightmare for me. I remember when I told the guy who maintains my site I switched to Yahoo, he yelled, "NO!" I didn't realize what I had done, but it didn't take me long to find out.

I was not that happy when Yahoo decided to do away with their free service, but reluctantly decided to now pay for my service. They had a killer deal by offer the first year for 1/2 off ($4.99/mo.). However, I am so happy that I did renew. It was super easy to transfer my files over from the free account and what I can't understand, I simply pick up the phone and get a live person to help me. They are very friendly and helpful and the cross over was great as it's almost the same menus as before. Plus, I finally get my own domain name! LOL

However, I am not currently breeding any dogs at the moment, but do try to keep it updated on wins by the few dogs I still have. I also like to keep it updated for my photography as well.

But the latest craze is Facebook! I absolutely LOVE facebook! You can post photos to the many Lab pages there, but the funnest thing is keeping up with all the different people/breeders and what they are doing/feeling....so much fun! It's a great way to get know fellow breeders in their real setting instead of at an often stress-filled dogshow. Thank you to all my FB friends--you guys rock! I look forward to meeting so many of you at Potomac!

Dianne Mullikin, EMT-B
Los Angeles, CA

anyone on here using microsoft office? they have domains and sites for only $14.95 a year! I have a free one on there but was wondering about the paid ones.

thanks for the links, they will really help me out!