Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting comment (errr "fact")

I was talking with a puppy family, and oddly enough, I got this question again that really makes me wonder about the "breeders" who are providing this "fact" :

They said that another breeder told them that they are able to tell the colors and gender of the puppies in the womb.

I did say a breeder could, in fact, tell what colors would be born, considering the color of each parent. Eg : Yellow x Yellow = All Yellow , etc. And if they bred a By to a Y, they would *expect* Blacks and Yellows and so forth.

What got me was them (the breeder who told the puppy family) stating they can tell the exact colors and gender of each puppy

Anyone care to share the secret ? LOL - Am I really missing some unknown advance ?

Ahyhow, I told them with xrays and ultra sounds we can confirm pregnancy and get a good idea of how many puppy to expect. BUT to actually be able to tell the gender and exact color of each puppy is faults information.

I was curious if anyone else have a puppy person ask this ? This is the second person to ask. Like this puppy family, the other one was told by a breeder as well.

Re: Interesting comment (errr "fact")

I too have had a puppy buyer tell me that they were told we can tell color/sex in the womb. I told them we can know what to expect, color-wise, due to genetic testing (dominant black will always produce black puppies, etc...). Wonder who is passing on this little "gem" onto puppy buyers?

Can't see how you can tell the color in the womb. But yes, the vet who does my ultrasound can tell the gender IF she gets the right positioning on the puppy. I've done two ultrasounds with her - from the ones she could tell on the first litter she was correct. Second litter hasn't been born yet so we'll see if she was right. Of the seven she saw she could tell me the sex of 5 of them.

Wow the sex. How many weeks do you do the ultrasound at? We do ours at 28 days and all we can see is a black blob and the heart beating.

It's probably a breeder that has several litters arriving around the same time. I heard of a breeder in PA that has so many pups whelped all the time, she claims to always have the color and sex the pup buyers want. Maybe she tells the story that way to her prospective buyers?

I usually have the ultrasound at around 30 days.

Colors, OK, that's a no brainer if you know what is behind the breeding. And gender - I can do that too -- the puppies are gonna be males and females!

AnnaH
Can't see how you can tell the color in the womb. But yes, the vet who does my ultrasound can tell the gender IF she gets the right positioning on the puppy. I've done two ultrasounds with her - from the ones she could tell on the first litter she was correct. Second litter hasn't been born yet so we'll see if she was right. Of the seven she saw she could tell me the sex of 5 of them.

That is very interesting !

Fetal sexing is quite common in equines and bovines. I see some difficulty with the multiples involved in canine litters but I am certain that the technology exists. My question, I guess, would be, why? With an average sized litter and average 50/50 for males females and possible colors-waiting for the day of whelping seems doable.

Don't expect puppy buyers to take notes and accurately remember what they are told.