Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
High protein foods for puppies...

A while back, someone asked about the worry of feeding high protein foods to puppies. They were worried about growth rates/joint issues....

I just had my second 'high protein fed' dog's permanent joint clearances done. Both this dog and another I have, who is 3 years old now, have eaten nothing but high protein/grain-free food since weaning; both are Normal elbows and Excellent hips. Both dogs are extremely strong and muscular, and I don't wrap my puppies in cotton wool - they "party like rock stars" !

I certainly have no worries about these types of food; they work well with my dogs at all life stages.

Re: High protein foods for puppies...

That is so good to hear! I started a litter on a high protein, grain free food for the first time this year - Orijen LBP. I had worried a little about the long term effects of this but the ingredients look so great and the puppies are looking great too. Thank you for posting your experience on congrats on the OFA Excellents!!!

I don't have a problem with high protein as long as it's Orijen. I believe it's the ONLY one formulated for puppies. Is that what you fed?

breederx
I don't have a problem with high protein as long as it's Orijen. I believe it's the ONLY one formulated for puppies. Is that what you fed?

Yes, I fed Orijen All Breed Puppy to about 6 months, then switched to the Adult formulation. I alternate with the Orijen feeds and the Acana feeds for my adults; both are made by Champion, but the Acana line is a little lower protein - 60% meat as opposed to Orijen's 70% meat inclusion.

A lot of people do say that high protein is bad. BUT, I think the issue is high calorie and overweight pups. I think high protein gets a bad rap because many high protein foods are also high fat. The problem is many people use these types of food and don't adjust proportions.

I am not sure that the level of protein (or even fat) matters as much as total calories. Proper calorie to exercise ratio must be maintained for optimal weight.

One of my dogs has a littermate who has eaten Orijen her whole life. My girl was raised on Eukanuba. They both grew at a nice steady pace and have always been very similar. I don't think anyone would have ever been able to guess which one ate the high protein food, nor could you tell by looking at their OFA films. That was a very small study, to be sure, but IMO high protein shouldn't cause any problems if it's not accompanied by high calcium.

Think about what our dog's ancestors ate in the wild - raw meat. Protein. This is the food they need, puppies too - puppies esp. Not high fat or carbs.
Don't you think?

My question would address the issue of how do seniors do who have been fed a diet this high in protein do throughout their lives?
I'm not sure just how long these diets have been around but I wonder what, IF any, the implications will be on aging dogs....

This is just my understanding... but the problem is that many of the high protein foods also have high calcium which is the problem.. not the protein itself.

We have food choices. Some of us don't want to take the gamble of hi protein foods, some of us do. Others prefer raw food. Some prefer mid road.

It's a personal choice. When I see 40% protein on a bag, I will not feed it to a large breed dog. I agree that the calcium is in proportion and higher also. My smaller breed dogs can have a little higher protein than the larger. Call me old school but I'm comfortable with 30% > or less protein for my Labs and GSD's. Well over 30% gives me the willies for large breeds.

If you're happy with hi protein and see no ortho problems, go with what you're content with. I would be frightened to go with that hi of a protein based on someone elses 2 generations. If it were 5 generations and the majority of the litters had OFA finals I might give it some thought. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Absolutely - a personal choice. I'm not telling anyone what to feed; I'm merely relating my experience, as others have questioned these types of foods. My experience so far with high protein foods has been superb; with high protein goes proportionately higher cacium/phospherous ratios, and I haven't ended up with any orthopedic nightmares.

Your point about OFA ratings is pertinent; however, I don't force puppy buyers to feed what I feed, so results wouldn't be as relevant. I also can't control other factors that may affect their puppy's joint development; if they're not in my home, they aren't under my thumb. As long as my breeding stock is orthopedically healthy and sound, puppies they produce are given as good a chance as they can be.

I am on my 5th litter using Orijen LBP. You can also show your bitches right after weaning their coats are so nice- Fish formula for them. Love the stuff!

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/ORIJEN_White_Paper.pdf