Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
books for novice owners/puppy buyers

I thought this was discussed not too long ago, but did a search with no results. I have had a family contact me about adding a Lab to their family. They have never owned a dog before and I was thinking of suggesting some puppy rearing/ training books to them. What do ya'll recommend to your potential owners? I was thinking of compiling a list of reading material to put on my website.
Thanks in advance.
Julia

Re: books for novice owners/puppy buyers

Can't remember the author but the name of the book is "What All Good Dogs Should Know". Very basic info and training advice for first time dog owners.

Labrador Retrievers for Dummies as a start.

Books by Particia McConnell, PhD.
( These small booklets are available on Amazon, are inexpensive and chock full of excellent training tips.)
-Family Friendly Dog Training
-How to Be Leader of the Pack, and have Your Dog Love You For It!
-Feeling Outnumbered? How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household

"How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" by Rutherford & Neil

I second Rutherford and Neil.

The Essential Labrador Retriever by Howell Book House
The Labrador Retriever Handbook by Audrey Pavia
Living with a Labrador Retriever Edited by Jo Coulson
How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With by Clarice Rutherford
The Simple Guide to Puppies by Stacy Kennedy

My favorite!

My Smart Puppy by Brian Kilcommons

Comes with a DVD for the kids and also has a website to go with it for more information.

http://www.mysmartpuppy.com/

Sirius Puppy Training by Dr. Ian Dunbar

I suggest to my puppy families that they try to to get this DVD from their local library and if not, to purchase it and watch it a couple of weeks before the puppy comes home. I tell the parents to watch it together first and then on another night, pop some popcorn and sit down with the kids and all watch it together. This way they are all using the same commands and everyone is on the same page. They can give the puppy a couple of days to settle in and then start right in with training. I have also suggested that after the pup is a year old they can either lend it to a friend who is getting a puppy or donate it to their local library if it didn't have a copy.

Another vote for Labrador Retrievers For Dummies. Loads of great, basic, easy to read information.