Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
E1-Lens, punctate cataract

Looking at a stud with this on his CERF. Did some research and many say it can be caused by injury... But on the vertical pedigree it has been passed down several generations... Does anyone know anything about this in Labs and the significance?

Re: E1-Lens, punctate cataract

I don't know if every dog that lists that has the same issue, but I know that with one of my bitches, she has it. Hasn't passed anything on to pups. The eye doctor said that when the eye was developing it got a little bubble in it, similar to like when you see that Mexican handblown glass and it has a small bubble imperfection. This particular issue is NOT hereditary in nature. I certainly wouldn't turn down a nice stud because of a Breeder Option.

Some dogs get them as they age too. If you look at the CERF history online at www.vmdb.org you can see which year(s) it was noted. I've had dogs that have them come and go (same vet examining). It certainly wouldn't stop me from breeding to the dog though.

According to Dr. Riis, it really makes no difference whether they are hereditary or not. Punctate cataracts do not affect vision at all. They don't progress to other things. So they are basically irrelevant in a breeding program. No more significant than a stray white hair on a black dog. Don't worry about them!

You just want to make sure they are not on the lens in certain places and not posterior.