Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Heat Lamps In A whelping Box???

I usually have litters in Summer, this year it is late February. Question, what do people use to keep puppies warm. I am thinking of heat lamps. My whelping box is made of wood and is 5'x4'. Where can I find them? How many to use? What is a good temp. for the floor of the box where puppies sleep? Do they have to be a certain distance away from them? Do they make lamps that clamp on side of box and curl to hang over the box?? I am looking for how people set there's up. Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Heat Lamps In A whelping Box???

I know a lot of people use heat lamps, but I have read of several kennel fires that were started by these lamps. I have an old "heater cube" and it has been perfect for my situation. I looked on eBay and the closest thing I found to mine is the following.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fair-Infared-Space-Zone-Electric-Heater-Ceramic-Box_W0QQitemZ310198375012QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4839439264#ht_4348wt_941

Mine is about this size and works well in the room where I have the whelping box. It keeps things warm, is totally safe, and is thermostatically controlled.

I used one meant for a reptile tank and used a regular bulb, about 60 watts and it gave enough heat in one corner if the pups needed it.

I have used a heat lamp for years. It is about 3 feet above the box. I put up a post on each side of th box and then a crossbar. I hang the lamp from there. Just make sure it is secure. If the pups start fusing, it means they are too warm. Turn it off for a while.

You can get the lamp holder and bulb at Tractor Supply or Lowe's.

I put a heating pad in one area and a heat light close to that for the first couple of days. My heat light is about 4 ft from the pups. After a few days I put a 60 watt bulb in it. But I leave the heating pad in for the pups to get on if they are warm.

I put a heating pad from www.leerburg.com in the whelping box in one corner and put pups on it after they're born if mom is not nursing. One of my mom's actually puts pups on it, too. I also put a heater in the room and keep it about 72 F(our house temp fluctuates). Once eyes are opened, I turn off heater and just keep heating pad in whelping box until they leave box at 4 weeks when I set up ex pens. This set up has worked wonderful for me, moms never dehydrate as I have heard can happen with heat lamp.

This is the best heat lamp and whelping box I have ever owned.

http://www.thewhelpingbox.com/id2.html

They are both worth the investment over the long run.

Michael
This is the best heat lamp and whelping box I have ever owned.

http://www.thewhelpingbox.com/id2.html

They are both worth the investment over the long run.

$130 for that heat lamp is for people who have more money than brains. Go to www.alienbees.com which sells lighting products for professional photographers. You can buy a 40" backlight light stand for $25 or one that adjusts all the way up to 10' for $40. Put a $8 lamp on it that you get from Home Depot or Lowe's or Walmart for that matter, and a heat lamp bulb for $2. Add that up, subtract it from $130, and that's what you just saved. $130 - geez.

Goodness on $130. Just not necessary~ Go to your ag store and get a brooder lamp w/ infra red bulb. They'll have a heavy duty clamp on them plus they swivel too. They also have a guard over the bulb.

I always use one regardless of time of year. Position it up above the box directed into one corner only. Of course make very sure nothing is around it. Be safe if you use one. Do not cover the entire box w/ it...(your momma won't appreciate it...too hot) I make a well in that corner for whelps and it's 90+ degrees in that corner. To determine the temp w/ the height you need it, just lay a thermom. down, it'll tell you. Once we are all born, the well barrier is removed and babies can gravitate to and fro this corner as they choose.

If we are having a really cold snap, the lamp stays for about a week but as the days go by, I raise it so the temp isn't as hot in that corner.

You will be able to tell when you don't need it at all. If the room is a min. of at least 70degrees, you won't need it past the first week for sure.

Good luck~

I went to the TSC store and bought heat lamps. One I suspended over the whelping box ... for the next litter I clamped on the side of the whelping box using the arm off my grooming table and hung the lamp from it. Both worked well. Temp was 85 F on the floor of the box based on recommendation from my vet, but subsequently based on research I did apparently this was too warm ..

You might want to try Snuggle Safe discs (available at PetsMart and online- approx. $30). They're plastic discs about the size of a frisbee, and radiate heat for 8-10 hours after being heated. You microwave them on HIGH for 5 minutes, and tuck them under the blankets/carpet in your whelping box. I put them off in the corners in case puppies wander away from their mother. They're absolutely great.
The only caution is that the core temperature is very hot for the first few hours, so they must be covered securely. I have several, and consider them essential equipment for winter litters.

My heat lamp is C clamped to a board that stands about 5 feet up from the whelping box. The board is screwed securely to the box. One thing that is important: make sure the fixture is powerful enough for the heating bulb. Some fixtures can not support the power needed to heat the bulb - hence the fire danger.

I've used one of these heating mats for years. I have a rheostat so that I can control the heat. It is really strong and holds up to people stepping on it as well as dogs. It is also scrubbable and can be disinfected. I've had mine for many many years.
http://www.kanemfg.com/

I had the same issue with summer litter in basement of air conditioned house. I don't use heat lamps, just an oil filled sealed freestanding radiator next to the box and it keeps the temp in the box a nice 72-74 degrees. Other than that I have a floor lamp in there with flexible arms, so I can direct the light downwards onto a corner of the box if the heater is too much.

We use a heat lamp from an agr supply store which I suspend above the box. Keeps a smaller area warmer for the pups but lets the bitch remain in a little cooler area of the box close to her pups. Its important to have a proper approved fixture as said previous.

Lab pups don't need a heat lamp very long - a couple of days maybe. I use a ceramic reptile heat lamp suspended over one corner of the box. Easier on the developing eyes as it emits no light. When the pups stop piling up under the heat, I put it away.

Darcy Kane
I've used one of these heating mats for years. I have a rheostat so that I can control the heat. It is really strong and holds up to people stepping on it as well as dogs. It is also scrubbable and can be disinfected. I've had mine for many many years.
http://www.kanemfg.com/

Darcy,

Which size do you order? I've loved my heating mats but they are not as durable and do not look as comfy as these.