Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
soft dogs and showing

Has anyone ever been able to get a dog that really didn't like the ring to show really well? I have two separate lines and one in particular is so soft that they wag so hard that they wiggle themselves right out of a stack and keep their ears down which I'm thinking is a submissive thing. I love wagging, but this type leads to a "squat" stack! These dogs are loves to live with but difficult to show. I'm on my third generation and have a lovely young girl I'd really like to have some fun in the ring with. Any tips for this sweet, soft natured pup? What type of training or behavior modification works with this type?

p.s. she melts into the floor when examined!

Re: soft dogs and showing

Does this happen when a really good Pro handles the dog? Maybe it is a love affair between you and dog, which is a good thing. Just wondering?

Thank you for asking this question. I am in the same fix right now. This is my second one also. And what you explained is just what she is doing. Anyone, any help would be appreciated. Have some that are so fun to show.

I'd love to hear some advice, too, as I have a wiggler who seems to "hate" the show ring, also. She's been exposed to shows since she was little, traveling with me, meeting people, etc., but just has NEVER developed a liking for the show ring even with treats, different people "handling" her, etc.

Put her on a pheasant, though, and it's an entirely different story. I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to show her even though she's a beautiful little girl.

Try clicker training your show prospects. I have found it to work wonders with helping the dog to learn the behaviors that you want to see. Standing still in a stacked position, showing their teeth, looking alert or what ever behavior you are trying to teach.

These kind of puppies are very excited and not quite sure of themselves I think. I would try a basic obedience class to give them some confidence and to settle them down. I also wonder if having them be your house dog and constant companion would help too. I don't think these dogs really dislike the ring they are just need that confidence. They might be nervous because you are worried about it. Just have fun with them in the ring and use a toy, or bird wing they like. Take their mind off the judge approaching them. Perhaps they would respond to another experienced person showing them who knows how to work with that issue.

The book "Positive Training for Show Dogs" by Vicki Ronchette has some really great exercises (using the clicker) to help teach pups to *love* showing and even has a section to work on problem solving things like wiggling too much in the ring.
There is also a Yahoo discussion group the author started called clickershowdogs that is a great resource for talking to other people specifically about training show dogs this way.

My girl used to do this before she earned her CD. When I went to obedience class, the instructor pointed out that treating her when she "melted" only reinforced the behavior. I had to turn away from her and the new person would stop going over her until she stood upright and still. Her excessive wagging and wiggling was that she liked touching so much. I also worked with pony tail holders to which I sewed little jingle bells. I put these on her ankles (they fit very loose) when someone would go over her and her feet wiggled, I said 'no'quietly but firmly, this really helped her understand the 'stand' means no wiggling and she stood very still for all her obedience stands, she even placed in the obedience trials, and some of those judges NQ with any foot movement. She is perfect now when a judge goes over her. Be sure you aren't giving extra treats right when she's wiggliest, it just reinforces movement.

Jingle bells- what a great idea! While I don't have any particular problems with this, jingle bells would help me really know when my puppies have moved a leg in a stack that is opposite me. Thanks!
A

I have a friend that has two completely different lines, yet both her young bitches act the exact same way as you describe here. They both act worried, crouched, no ears. That tells me she is the cause of it. Apparently her bad case of nerves goes right through the lead. Another friend does the same to her dogs. They all act the same, several different lines. I think some owners are the cause of it unknowingly.

Gee, I hope you have mentioned this to your friends. Perhaps if they are unaware it might help if you do tell them?