Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Epilepsy research - 2/8/10

Liz says the sibling pair count is now 17. That means, it will only take another 8 pairs and the mapping study can begin.

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT! When the researchers are able to offer a test, if you submitted blood for the study you will be told the results for every dog whose blood you sent in. This means that they will tell you if the non-seizing dog(s) whose blood you submitted is clear or a carrier. This could be very important information for your breeding program.

Let’s say you sent in blood from several non-seizing littermates. When they develop a test, you will find out if those littermates are clear or carriers. Think what that might mean for your breeding program if you have bred some of those dogs. This would be a huge bargain. You can send in blood from a half dozen or more related dogs for around $30 - $40. Once there is a test, imagine how much it might cost to have tests run for that many dogs.

This research is good for everyone. It is totally confidential. We started the blood drive in April 2009. Wouldn’t it be great if we could have 25 pairs by the Potomac.

For more info, go to:
http://www.tulgeywoodlabs.com/pages/EpilepsyResearch.html

Re: Epilepsy research - 2/8/10

Thanks for the update. Thanks also to those sending in the samples!

Re: Epilepsy research - 2/8/10 - Question to Joan

Joan - There an Epilepsy research project in Canada at one point. Do you know anything about that project?

Re: Epilepsy research - 2/8/10 -Dr. Mehlekovets

Yes, that was being done by Dr. Mehlekovets at HealthGene. I was in touch with him in 2006 and did participate by sending blood. I do not know where his work is at right now. I heard that a number of breeders on the west coast had sent blood samples to Dr. Mehlekovets in 2005 (?) but there had been no news of any progress.

When I looked into the various researchers again for the MJLRC garage sale, the folks at U. Missouri were particularly helpful. Plus they were actively communicating with other researchers around the world and were sharing information. There was clear progress in the work there and they had done the initial mapping study for the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, so had hopes of having a test for them.

I hope the west coast folks will get behind the U.Mo researchers and send blood. It looks to me like they are on the right track and we have good reason to think they are going to be able to develop the test we need.