Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Research!!!

When we go out to buy a house, we have be certain that its big enough for our family.We would never buy a 1 bedroom house when one would have 5 kids, that wouldnt make sense! It wouldnt be a good match.
When we are breeding we must look for a male or female that is a suitable mate to what we are breeding. If it wasnt suitable, it wouldnt make sense.
Sorry but coming on and crying about a stud dog that you used or is offered for stud service doesnt make sense! If that particular dog is not what you want, move on. To many out there to settle for less than the best for what you are breeding.
If you find a mate to use without doing your research, why cry later? Ask for clearances, no proof-no breeding. I would never get offended if someone asked for copies of those things. If a test hasnt been done then i tell them that.
If you love the breed, do your research. Its very sad what is being put out there by 'the best breeders'. I know of 2 dogs that are blind from PRA/PRCD. They both come from a rather well known kennel. This kennel will seldom stud their dogs out or place on full registration due to ' bad breeders'. I think its those you have to watch out for as I'm a nobody and do all my clearances as to Hips,elbows,eyes, optigen,echo and eic. Its not to impress anyone,Im trying to stop heartache for a breeder or family down the road.
Just do your homework, thats all it takes.

Re: Research!!!

Here, here "research" (that's awfully close to my name :) ) I fully agree with you though. It is our sole responsibility to research thoroughly and make our own decisions and to live with the consequences. And guess what??/ ...sometimes we are going to @#$% up royally and have to deal with it. That's how we learn

How do you do decent research if:
1) No one who knows about a condition is willing to talk about it including the owner?
2) People who know choose to lie when asked directly, including the owner?

I've done enough research, professionally, to know how research is supposed to be done. The problem is, getting the truth out there and available is sometimes next to impossible.

It should be a simple thing, do your research and if it doesnt feel right...walk away from it! Just that sometimes we let the rats loose in our heads and DONT walk away from it and thats when S___T happens! Follow the good ol´gut feeling thats all. There will always be half truths, less than half truths, complete truths, little lies, medium size lies and FULL Blown lies in this game....like its stated in a previous post...This game is not for the faint of heart!