Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
elbow dysplasia

Can you show a dog in breed who has had an elbow repair for ED?

Re: elbow dysplasia

The following info is copied from the AKC rules for dog shows.

SECTION 8. A dog which is blind, deaf, castrated,
spayed, or which has been changed in appearance by
artificial means except as specified in the standard for its breed, or a male which does not have two normal testicles normally located in the scrotum, may not compete at any show and will be disqualified except that a castrated male may be entered as Stud Dog in the Stud Dog Class and a spayed bitch may be entered as Brood Bitch in the Brood Bitch Class....

A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure, substance or drugs that have the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating any congenital or hereditary abnormality or any
undesirable characteristic, or that does anything to improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite or gait.

So, I guess that's a no?

This has been discussed in the past, and if I remember correctly, section 8 does not apply in this case. Section 8 discusses corrective surgeries. For example, it does not address if you tear a cruciate (injury) and have a TPLO done to help the dog, that necessarily shouldn't fall under Section 8. That would be the same to me as ED surgery. Section 8 makes me think of a dog with a bad bite, and you do corrective dentistry to fix that bite.

But then there is the flip side. A dog with ED is NOT a breeding prospect, thus the concept of showing isn't really valid, IMHO. I personally wouldn't waste my money on showing a dog that can't be bred later on. I understand the point of "having fun with your dog" but then I would focus on low impact activities like obedience or rally.

although I agree that I would not waste my money on a dog that is not breeding prospect.
AKC does not have rules against people showing "just for the fun" and many people love to show just for hobby.

A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure, substance or drugs that have the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating any congenital or hereditary abnormality or any
undesirable characteristic, or that does anything to improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite or gait.
Elbow dysplasia is considered hereditary, so showing after surgery is a no-no.

Actually, the term dysplasia refers to any changes in joints that can be seen and noted. It means things like remodelling, thickening, misshapes, etc. Elbow dysplasia occurs as a result, not a cause......it can occur after injury, so is not necessarily genetic.

ES

Elbow dysplasia is considered hereditary, so showing after surgery is a no-no.

Breeding would be a no-no, not showing the dog. The other suggestion of low impact activies are higher impact than conformation showing.

If the breeder wants to show the dog, they are entitled to if they own him. They surely have a reason for it. I wouldn't do it, you wouldn't do it but others have their reasons.

If in doubt, contact the AKC. I am just about positive they will say no. If you do go ahead and show the dog anyway, and someone complains to the AKC your dog will be DQ'd and any points or placements will be taken away. Personally, I don't see the point.

Actually, the term dysplasia refers to any changes in joints that can be seen and noted. It means things like remodelling, thickening, misshapes, etc. Elbow dysplasia occurs as a result, not a cause......it can occur after injury, so is not necessarily genetic.
While we know what the term "can" mean, in the eyes of the AKC it is genetic and showing after surgery to repair ED is not allowed. Personally, I'm beginning to think a lot of cruciate tears in young dogs have a genetic component, but in the eyes of the AKC, that one is an injury and the dog can be shown. When we had this discussion with an AKC rep some years ago, he pointed out that a true elbow injury from an accident could be repaired and the dog shown, but it would be wise to carry a letter from the surgeon in case anyone complained.

A dog is considered changed in appearance by artificial means if it has been subjected to any type of procedure that have the effect of obscuring, disguising or eliminating any congenital or hereditary abnormality...

Wouldn't this mean cruciate repairs, hip/elbows etc.? Yet people still show with cruciate repairs. This is cheating in my book.

You should not show the dog because you should not breed the dog. (and that's a period)

"does anything to improve a dog’s natural appearance, temperament, bite or gait.
Even procedures, substances and drugs which are
absolutely necessary to the health and comfort of a dog shall disqualify that dog from competition if the former had the incidental effect of changing or even improving the dog’s appearance, temperament, bite or gait."

A dog that limps because of ED and has it surgically repaired with the end result of correcting the limp falls into this category and can't be shown legally. Does it stop some folks from showing? Nope--and they breed these "repaired" dogs as well.