Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feedback on Royal Canin Labrador 30

My vet recommended this food and I've read good reviews...i understand that it's ingredients aren't the best...but it looks like a good middle of the road dog food.

Re: Feedback on Royal Canin Labrador 30

I have used it in the past - got great coats but I could not keep weight on my dogs. They are quite athletic and I had to feed so much more just to keep them at a reasonable weight and then it all came out the other end...

I guess I have to ask why you say the ingredients are not the best? Some of the ingredients on the bag may be listed there due to federal requirements but are not as they may seem. Some of the ingredients may have a very broad spectrum and it also depends on how it was processed. Though the Labrador 30 formula may be perfect for a lazy house dog, it may not be enough to keep a working dog in good condition. I would recommend you research those ingredients with Royal Canin and talk to a rep.

All I'm saying is...when you compare it to an Innova or some of the other premium dog foods it appears to be slightly inferior. I'm not saying it's a bad dog food...all I want to know is who has used it and if they have had good results. period.

Hi,

I'm a breeder rep for Royal Canin and if you have questions about a specific product please feel free to contact me directly. As a science based company Royal Canin is a believer in nutrients, not ingredients make quality dog food. I'd be happy to discuss this in depth if you contact me.

It's a great food and yes I've used it. It's not a high calorie food as it's designed for the average Labrador that tends to be overweight. Thus, as a previous poster stated it may not work in a dog that has a high caloric need due to activity. No one dog food is perfect for all dogs.

Liz

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I don't think you can go by that list. I changed my dogs over to a food on the top list and they did horribly on it, lost coat and weight. Switched back 4 months later to what I had been feeding. Just because a food is an A list food does NOT mean it's going to be the right food or your dog. You can have 5 dogs they have to eat different foods simply because individuals do best on certain foods while others may not on the same.

Exactly... We all have what works for our dogs/line of dogs. Royal Canin is not the right food for mine because it's not high enough in fat for my dogs.....but I know many that feed it and it's right for theirs.

I find these lists somewhat funny. Does the guy who makes this list have any special credentials. Were does he come up with his vast knowledge of all dog food? How does he know how all foods are processed and prepared, and were the ingredients came from? I am not saying all these lists are wrong but need to be taken with a grain of salt. One persons opinion shouldn't sway everybody's outlook. I currently feed Royal Canin but use there breeder program. I don't feed a breed specific food and have had great results. This was after going through about ten of the super formulas from others.

I agree that "One Size" does not fit all dogs when it comes to dog food. For example....one of my clients has a very sweet Labrador with the most beautiful coat,nice muscle, and wonderful temperament, he is also very intelligent. I asked my client what she feeds her boy...imagine my shock when she said she feeds good old Purina dog chow! She fed Purina Dog Chow to her last Labrador who lived to be 15 years old. She said she had tried many other premium brands but her boy wouldn't eat them so she went back to what worked in the first place!